1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coop and the new Google Patent

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by t2dman, Apr 12, 2005.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's nothing new. :) Too boring.

digitalpoint, Apr 16, 2005 IP
  2. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    Why, in the digitalpoint keyword tool area is it advertised like:

"Want links across thousands of sites? Check out the Ad Network (it's free)."

:confused:

xml, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  3. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    It clearly states that it is a Ad Network.

Sorvoja, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  4. michail1

michail1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Change to ....check out DPS (it's free).

michail1, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  5. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    because ads should be links....it never says a link network

wendydettmer, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I am convinced that the COOP's programming priciples are not going to change much...
    -DP-

We are seeing changes being made to the existing tool as we go along, stats, unique filenames, etc. Despite Google patent and many posts concerning link-churning. DP continues to develop this FREE TOOL and many others.

Stick around...more to come I'm sure :)

Homer, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Only because I missed changing it in that one (it was pulled a long time ago from all the other tools). Thanks for reminding me.. I never got around to that one because it had to be changed in 25 places (once for each language).

digitalpoint, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  8. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I can't believe this is still being discussed. That application is bogus or bait. Sheesh! :/

noppid, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  9. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a suggestion for a new project...

How about creating the Digital Point Link Exchange co-op. A separate product that's purpose is to automate the placing of relevant text links to your sites on a wide selection of other sites in exchange for placing relevant links to others sites from your own (preferably different) sites. And to do this with a view to increasing the target sites 'link-popularily' and cover all that this envolves.

I imagine a lot of the code on the DP advertising co-op could be utilized :)

E Doc Tong, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Uhm, no... too lame, too boring.

11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Ouch! That's gonna hurt come winter... :eek:

Back to the drawing board, E Doc... this time think, "And now for something completely different..." :D

minstrel, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  12. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I have used the co-op for - getting higher on the search engines - automating the getting of what I would normally get reciprocal links for. However, given the clarification in the Google patent, and Shawn's responses that he is not changing the co-op to be a true link exchange co-op, I have no choice but to move to another system. The co-op has and continues to work well, but I have seen rankings start sliding.

I would have been happy with merely making the links permanent with the current co-op. Now I see another far more comprehensive system of link co-op that will be able to continue from where the co-op has left off - Link-Vault - It probably has a development path required, but so far it looks like it satisfies all my questions about what an ideal system looks like.

There are so many people that have always thought (me included) that the co-op would be tweaked for whatever Google threw at - and so be the ideal mechanism for getting links. In fact, I would like to think that if enough people left, or made a song and a dance about the current co-op, that Shawn would change his mind.

When Shawn got so high for "ebay" then dropped, I thought that there was enough incentive for him to do whatever was required to get back up again. With our band of incredibly loyal followers in general wanting to get higher on the search engines, I thought we would in general get an ideal system. Apparently, Shawn is not as interested in getting high on Google as he was???? Is this possible???

I do not understand, and I am incredibly reluctant looking elsewhere, feeling very unloyal. But I want no less than the best.

t2dman, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, considering I have the following on my eBay related pages, I think that generally speaks for itself, eh? :)

<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
    Code (markup):
    BTW, not everything in life is black and white. It seems that 99.99% of people are after short-term gains rather than long-term viability (I fall into 2nd group).

Smyrl likes this.
  14. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry Shawn, forgot about the mention of that tag on your ebay pages. But the principle still follows...

I would like the long term gain of permanent links to give long term viability of my rankings. When I see my rankings slide, short term gain certainly has little meaning.

t2dman, Apr 17, 2005 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, if it's strictly links you are after, there are of course better options.

If you can look past the obvious short-term gains, you may find ways to make money with the ad network (I know of 3 or 4 people making well over $100k per month by using nothing more than the ad network as it was intended [an advertising system]).

16. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all - look up the word sarcasm in the dictionary. Otherwise known as 'taking the p!$$'
    Second - do you honestly imagine that the DP ad co-op is the only method I am applying to improve my online business? Come on - stop talking down to the 'newbies'. I've been in this game for many years, just stumbled across the co-op a few months ago and decided to give it a go - with excellent results, in MSN and Yahoo (nothing at all with Google) Since joining the network and seeing some results, it got me thinking... you know, rather than just saying to myself - this is the way it is and I should remove all thoughts from my mind about how it could be adapted to be EVEN MORE beneficial.

This forum seems to be mostly populated by opinionated 'know-all's, who would rather just tell people to go away rather than engage in any real debate.

The point I was *trying* to make was - Shawn *could* set up an alternative network, for all those interested in a link network rather than an ad-network (using a lot of the co-op code :p). Make the networks mutually exclusive if you like, whatever. But like he says - he's not interested in that - and I can relate to that.

17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Usually, I find I agree with what you say, T2Dman, but in this case I think you (and a lot of others) are overreacting or reacting prematurely to the filing of a patent and its assumed effect on the world of Google.

If you are concerned about Google "penalizing" an ad network, I don't understand why on earth you would want to promote a blatant link exchange scheme... :confused:

18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Whoa whoa whoa there, E Doc...

If you go back and re-read my post a little more carefully, you may come to the conclusion that I wasn't attacking you but rather sympathizing with you after reading Shawn's rather blunt response to your suggestion...

19. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry - misinterpreted the tone of your answer.
    Hope you can at least understand why I would be on the defensive.
    I must have been confusing you with other members of the forum...
    (sorry - I'm new around here :p)

Not sure I agree with you about T2Dman promoting "a blatant link exchange scheme"
    If you have a look at what they are doing - it's not that blatant really ;)

It would be nice if we could run both ads and links networks on the same page, but I can understand the reasoning behind such a condition.

Shawn said something like they are practically the same except the DP network rotates the links, LV does not. One might argue that this is in fact quite a big difference (see previous messages in this thread) I don't really see why it's not ok to have static LINKS to related sites AND rotating ADS to randomly themed sites. But hey - that's just my take on it.

20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I understand -- It's easy to misinterpret the written word, especially in a forum context where attacks aren't exactly unheard of...