1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cool New Advertising Idea?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ViciousSummer, Apr 14, 2006.

1. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think Ashkan's service is a bigass waste of money.. :rolleyes:

Love,
    EGS

EGS, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  2. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm..another one liner with no back up or argument to deal with...

EGS you said that at the start of the post and I PROOVED you wrong... The majority of my customers have come back and reinvested. Why don't you hit the BLAM button and whatever site comes up, email the person and ask them whether investing in UBlam has benefited them?

So next time please get some proof from someone already on UBlam and then maybe you can construct a decent argument.

Ashkan, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  3. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, for those non-believers out there - I don't know how you can argue with success. Thank you Ma'am for putting some numbers together for us to consider. I would say that 4.76% conversion rate is not "rubbish".

Phynder, Jun 11, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    And since you obviously know all about marketing :)rolleyes:), why don't you tell us how you advertise your websites and your conversion rates?

ViciousSummer, Jun 11, 2006 IP
  5. yo-yo-ma

yo-yo-ma Guest

Best Answers:
    What can I say... querky design and stuff, but I like it! Bin blamming all day with their widget! Don't have a website to chuck up there, but if I did I would. It seems like any investment above $40 would work the best as you get displayed in their top 15 or whatever. Just my 2 cents.

Good for them.

yo-yo-ma, Jun 15, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  6. jaybong

jaybong Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you considered a ublam tool bar? (sorry if this has been mentioned couldn't be bothered reading the whole post)

Also I thought I'd mention that I don't really like the way the ublam button is displayed how it cuts off 2/3rds of the way. Maybe I'm being old fashioned but I like my buttons whole.

jaybong, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  7. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks! Just one question, can you move the widget easily? holding Ctrl and then draging it?

We have a toolbar icon and a widget on the downloads page http://www.ublam.com/downloads.php .

Do you mean a different kind of toolbar?

In regards to the button only beeing 2/3rds of the way, I couldn't fit the whole button in the small blam bar and making it smaller would mean that you wouldnt be able to see the word BLAM. Maybe I could replace it with the miniBLAM, any other opinions on this?

Ashkan, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  8. jaybong

jaybong Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks I got the icon.

About the button don't know but I think it would really improve the look to make it whole. Also how much do you make of the ads on the right. There an eye sore, quite unprofessional imo.

jaybong, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I agree there, that ad looks bad.

ViciousSummer, Jun 15, 2006 IP
  10. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Not only do they look bad, but are those AdSense?

Remember, you are providing a service for advertisers. Why should I pay you to advertise my product and then you stick other ads around it?

Phynder, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  11. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ye I know, It looks pretty bad and greedy on my part! :(

I've always hated google ads myself and someone in my halls said why I don't put it on my toolbar and I just said there's no point, since it makes a couple of pennies and makes my both the users (ruins the look) and my advertisers dissatsfied. But then I saw the big cheque on this thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=93389

and I though wow... google adsense doesnt make a couple of pennies but thousands, so I thought it wouldn't do any harm to test it out so I put one on the UBlam toolbar and it is doing well Impression wise. I put it on for a couple of days and then took it off since it ruined the look. The other day I put it back on again since I thought people don't really pay attention to them, it's just there and making money just for impressions.

Although it was a nice little source of income but I'm not going to get greedy. It was just an experiment but seeing as you guys aren't happy with it, I'll take it off.

Ashkan, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  12. Phynder

Best Answers:
    You are evolving the idea and that is good - especially since you are so receptive to feedback.

Do you have any new marketing ideas to get more traffic to uBlam?

Phynder, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  13. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm working on a few things at the moment mainly:

Doing a new Press Release with a better perspective.

Advertising on decent site such as http://www.googleidol.com/ - getting lots of hits from there

Trying to get it big on MySpace by offering free entries for their MySpace page for people putting the Big Blam button on their MySpace page

What do you think? Any other ideas?

Ashkan, Jun 17, 2006 IP
  14. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Yeah - that could have a major impact. Hmmm... Maybe a contest to encourage the MySpacers to put it on their MySpace?

Phynder, Jun 17, 2006 IP
  15. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont agree with the MySpace part, partially.

Yeah it's a great thing to get the word out on myspace but it's NOT a great thing to give them free listings.

A) Because to those of us that paid it's a slap in the face. I have plenty high traffic sites I can link to ublam with instead of paying and they're a lot better than myspace sites.

B) By allowing myspace sites you are decreasing the integrity of the ublam button. When people start clicking the Ublam button and seeing myspace profiles they're going to be immediately turned off. If people are bored and want to see myspace profiles they can go on myspace....

Suggestion: allow webmasters to earn points by linking to ublam with a referral URL. The more traffic we send you the more chances we have of getting our site shown by the button.

I'd even be interested in helping you code this system to prevent cheating. We'd also of course need to cap the amount of credit you get so one site with a lot of traffic doesn't hog all the ublams.

GeorgeB., Jun 17, 2006 IP
  16. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    URL Rotater
    just launched now looking for responses i will try to make the site as interesting as possible. keep your responses pouring please.

vic_msn, Jun 17, 2006 IP
  17. yo-yo-ma

yo-yo-ma Guest

Best Answers:
    shouldn't it be spelled 'rotatOr' !? muppet.

yo-yo-ma, Jun 17, 2006 IP
  18. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very much so. If I saw a myspace site, it would be the last time I blammed.

MTbiker, Jun 17, 2006 IP
  19. yo-yo-ma

yo-yo-ma Guest

Best Answers:
    How about tapping into the built in speech recognition in Mac OS X (does windows have it?) and making a program that recongnises when you say the word 'Blam' and opening a browser window etc. ? Might be kinda cool.

yo-yo-ma, Jun 18, 2006 IP
  20. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I think most people would like to see random myspace profiles, as long as they aren't boring. Also, any MySpacer who displays the Blam button will know how to make their page look nice and funky so it'll be cool to browse through their page.

In regards to going to MySpace.com if they want to see myspace profiles, they couldn't do it on MySpace since there is no feature on MySpace which lets them view a random MySpace account. I think one of the reason why MySpace is so successful is because people like looking (spying) at what people have on their pages (sense of curiosity).

Also, yes it may be boring if it was just random MySpace pages only on UBlam but it isn't, the next hit on the button could take you to a game or a blog to read so there won't be anyone saying 'oh, I'm not going to hit it again because it will just be another MySpace site'

I have to say I don't at all agree with the comment about it being a 'slap in the face' since it is only one entry I will be giving out which is minimal and each button on those MySpace account is likely to bring in more traffic to UBlam and hence more traffic to the sites on UBlam making the one entry given away negligable. The way to think about it is: more free entries = more traffic .

I think the idea of giving out free links for traffic is good however I am always worried that anyone bringing me traffic will also know a way to cheat the system, I must some how know that each individual visit is genuine. If you believe you can help code the system without any of these happening, I'll be happy to take you up on that offer :)

I think both the free MySpace entries (in exchange for displaying the BLAM button) and free entries in exchange for traffic (e.g. 1 entry per 100 people referred) could both be done.

Ashkan, Jun 18, 2006 IP