1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cool Font tricks

Discussion in 'CSS' started by mnymkr, May 2, 2006.

I was just curious. Instead of using a head gif if anyone uses cool font tricks to make text look like logos?

mnymkr, May 2, 2006 IP
  2. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    there are some options, and many cool fonts out there.

The only problem with using a neat looking font is that if someone doesn't have it installed on their computer, it wont display, or will default to a standard font.
    You could make a cool background and use css to overlay text on the image so that it looks like its part of the image.

jrd1mra, May 2, 2006 IP
  3. SoxFan

SoxFan Peon

Best Answers:
    SoxFan, May 2, 2006 IP
  4. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    Holy bloated workaround batman. I love it when people find creative solutions, but wow...

I did a substantial amount of research into the subject of embedding fonts, and there once was a few viable solutions actually.

For IE you can grab a copy of WEFT. I've never used it because it's an IE only, but it's there. And only IE supports .eot.

The most promising solution I could find was the possibility of finding a program that produced .pfr files which may or may not be compatible with FF. I couldn't find a straight answer when I looked. The company that produces this software had no trace of a download link on their site when I looked, and still doesn't. For those interested, it was Bitstream.

But as far as using fonts for logo's, I do it quite often. I'm big on image calls - as in saving them. So the more I can do without images, the better.

Greg-J, May 6, 2006 IP
  5. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do you have examples of how u make these non-image logos. that is what i am looking for. thanks

mnymkr, May 6, 2006 IP
  6. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    Greg-J, May 6, 2006 IP