1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cookies......or how do I do this?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mnemtsas, Jul 29, 2004.

Hi There,

I know nothing about cookies. Less than nothing. But I suspect they are the way to go for something I want to accomplish.

Basically what I want to do is increase the price of my products. But I want to make sure that anyone who has already downloaded an evaluation version of my software still gets the old price.

The only way I can see this happening is to keep things at the old price for a period of 40 days. 40 days sees the evaluation period of the software run out and hopefully all the people who will buy, will have done so. During the 40 days I want people who come to the site to have a 40 day expiring cookie dropped on their computer. When the 40 days is up I want my website to display the old price to people who have an unexpired cookie. And I want the new price displayed to people who do not have a cookie, or have an expired cookie.

If you have some knowledge in this area I'd like to know if this sounds reasonable. If it sounds OK some pointers to some learning resources would be great. I want to know if the approach is OK before I go and spend a lot of time learning something new.......

Looking forward to some responses,

mnemtsas, Jul 29, 2004 IP
  2. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    As a suggestion why not create a seperate purchase page for people that download the latest version of your software and once the 40 days is up setup a redirect from the new purchase page to your old one?

gooner, Jul 29, 2004 IP
  3. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, considering how many of us run with cookies disabled, or remove them daily, I think this is an excellent solution. :)

Cricket, Jul 30, 2004 IP