1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Convince me that it's a "beautiful" game

Discussion in 'Games' started by tbarr60, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No English people evne play hockey. I don't think I've ever seen a game apart from at the olympics?

MattUK, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  2. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Cujo or association football has common alternative names such as soccer and football. Football in North America doesn't have a common alternative name (in Australia I heard it called Gridiron).

In football the player who scores the most, scores with his foot, the place kicker. The game is started with a kick off. When the ball isn't advanced, the team punts it away. There is also a little used drop kick. After each score there is a kick off. When a touchdown is made, the scoring team can score an extra two points by running the ball in (rarely done) or one point for kicking over the goal.

In soccer players throw the ball in by hand, score using their head or any part of their body except arms. So why not call it Armless Ball? Either sport makes or doesn't make sense in it's naming.

Nike calls it soccer so be nice to them and call it soccer or they might take their balls and go home. :)

tbarr60, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  3. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The orginal statement was
    The 'their' refered to Sweden. Sweden is amongst the top producers of ice hockey talent. If these athletes weren't on the ice, Swedish soccer would have about 100 more 6'2" 220lbs (1.9m 100kg) world class athletes to fill their soccer team. Scary, eh?

tbarr60, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  4. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh sorry I read it wrong. US sports don't tend to go down well over here.

MattUK, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  5. ndree

ndree Peon

Best Answers:
    learn to love this game like a kid
    ht t p : // w w w .jean-carlos-chera.com/
    and also remember playing it is funnier than wathing it

ndree, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  6. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    99% of football is played with the feet, im sure its a similair percentage of american football being played with there hands. What nike calls it doesnt matter although ive never seen them call it soccer, on there tv adverts or anywhere so maybe they only call it that in america which would pretty obvious no? Also the footballs being used are adidas so what balls are they going to take home?

jabb, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  7. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even though most of hockey's premier league teams reside in the US, it is still viewed as a Canadian sport though it traces it's roots back to Holland.

Some of the major sports here cost too much for most of the world to take part in. I could only afford skates, a hockey stick, and a shovel to make my own rink on the lake by my house as a kid. American football is also expensive with all the equipment. Futbol does have the sustainable competitive advantage in that all you need is a flat piece of ground and something like a ball (and a ceasefire in some places).

tbarr60, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  8. Gareth Hodson

Gareth Hodson Peon

Best Answers:
    Football is the beautiful game. You only have to watch the likes of Henry, Riquelme, Ronaldhino, Kaka and Messi to see why. Elegant skills, superb vision, passing and shooting.

Gareth Hodson, Jun 21, 2006 IP
  9. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The highlights, like in any sport, are beautiful.

tbarr60, Jun 21, 2006 IP