1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Converting IPB to vB

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Burta, Apr 10, 2006.

I was just wondering is it fairly easy to transfer an IPB forum to vB, because I currently have a small IPB forum but I want to grow it, but I also at some point want to transfer it over to vB. So I was just wondering if converting it to vB was fairly simple because if it is I'll focus on developing the membership of the site before investing in vB.

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    It's very easy vB comes with a script that does most of it for you. I'd be tempted to do the switch sooner rather than later.

dct, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  3. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's more a money issue than anything at the moment. Once I know the forum will be successful I'd be happy to do the switch.

Burta, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  4. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There's something you definitely need to know about before converting...IPB passwords are stored differently than vB passwords and there is no way to convert the passwords from IPB to vB. What does this mean? Well, this means that all of your users will have to reset their passwords. It's obviously an important issue because you could lose members through it, but you also need to think that if you plan on moving to vB eventually regardless, you might as well do it now...the longer you wait, the worse it will get.

As far as everything else, the conversion is not too bad considering everything that needs to be done.

GTAce, Apr 10, 2006 IP
    dct likes this.
  5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

I concurr. I recently did an IPB to vBulletin conversion. It was easy, but no passwords were transferred.

Members have to do the Lost Password kind of thing, get a new password, and then are able to log in. Better to do this with fewer members then more members.

joeychgo, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  6. hany_rmm

hany_rmm Peon

Best Answers:
    i need this script guys

hany_rmm, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  7. CalebSpilchen

CalebSpilchen Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If your talking about the script at the start of the thread. While it comes standard when you buy vbulletin buddy.

CalebSpilchen, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  8. bille

bille Peon

Best Answers:
    The migration script itself is called "impex", and it comes with your vBulletin license.

As for the passwords, I wrote a vBulletin plugin that will keep you from making your end users reset all their passwords:

IPB to vBulletin Password Sync

( yes, I know it's an old thread, but thought it would be good to have this info in the thread for others that find it ).

bille, Feb 18, 2010 IP