1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Converting ASP to HTM for SEO

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by remember, Sep 8, 2004.

I have a large ASP-based site which would be impossible to manage as anything other than ASP, however I understand that key search engines (ie Google) may not follow all the ASP links and I'm worried that not all my content will be indexed or possiblyt penalized.

Does anyone know of an ASP script (or something) that will convert my ASP to HTM on the fly? Or is there an easier way to deal with this? I know there are various server mods that are supposed to be able to do this sort of thing (like Amazon uses) but I don't have access to my server to install mods since I'm on a shared host.

remember, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google does not car about the extension. It will follow anything you throw at it. You could use .shawn instead of .asp if you really wanted.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  3. remember

remember Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought Google only followed dynamic links to 3 recursions (or something). Whilst that's probably enough to spider my entire site I've read other articles (on other forums) that suggest it's a good idea to use a mod that converts your ASP files to htm files like mydomain.com/xyz.asp?abcd=1234 becomes mydomain.com/abc/def/ghi/xyz.htm

Is this gonna help anything or is it just a waste of time?

remember, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  4. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I never found any problem with asp files not getting indexed.
    I think what you are talking about is that use of the 404 page, that leaves your URL without any extension like this http://www.shaislighting.com/Indoor/Low Voltage Trims/4 Inch/B1401SN ?
    I read that some search engines have problem with URL's that contain question mark.

Jackobo007, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If you only have one (or even two or three) parameters in a dynamic URL, it's probably a waste of time IMO. No rewriting going on at this forum for example, and Google spiders it fine.

digitalpoint, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Umm, a slight better than fine ;)

NewComputer, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  7. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn is giving good advice. Don't screw with your code. I have several sites that are asp / database driven and google give me top ten rankings for most of my keywords. There is a program for IIS that will perform the equivelant of a mod-rewrite, but it's really not worth it. ASP is just fine unless you have a session id in the url.

mopacfan, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  8. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah there realy isnt a need to convert it.

arestia, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will have no problem with .asp files.
    You may look as the asp code embedded in the documents of the site. Sometimes there are really horrible about keeping the code clean sometimes. There is plenty you can do to improve it, if there are issues.

Phoenix, Sep 9, 2004 IP