1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

conversion rates

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by dave487, Jun 11, 2004.

What sort of conversion rates are normal for the Overture/Adwords adverts?

What percentage of people clicking through to a site should actually end up buying something?

dave487, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    schlottke, Jun 11, 2004 IP
  4. nacho45

nacho45 Peon

Best Answers:
    For us, we've varried in this range too.

Ou overall site conversion is around 4-5%, but for some things we're lower than 2% while others we are above 8%. So it really differs on the product.

nacho45, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  5. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    We see a 2% CTR and a about 0.8% conversion rate :eek: Not too great but it works out profitable in the end. One reasonable sale pretty much pays our whole adwords budget for the month.

mnemtsas, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  6. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We see a wide range of conversions, based upon the specificity of the keyphrase. For more general terms, we could be in the 2% range (or even lower); for very specific terms we could be above 10% without trouble. The conversion rate you need (and the price you can pay per click) is completely dependent on what the visitor is worth to you (conversion on your site and profit per conversion). Like some others, each sale for us generates many thousands in profits, so we can afford to spend a few bucks per click and a relatively low conversion rate.

We also find that Google converts much better for us than Overture, because we're targeting a business audience.

Extranet Guy, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    if you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you selling that results in thousands of dollars in profit?

disgust, Jul 11, 2004 IP
  8. SEO_AM

SEO_AM Active Member

Best Answers:
    We have not tried Adwords or any other form of advertising due to our high placement in the SERPs for our primary KWs. Questions: do any of you place ads for any KWs where you already place in the top 5 on Google? If so, why and what percentage comes from the SERP and what percentage from the ad?

SEO_AM, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  9. Extranet Guy

Extranet Guy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Disgust - Rereading my post, I guess it sounded kind of mysterious.....we sell fairly expensive business-to-business software; compared to consumer it's low volume but high margin.

SEO AM - we advertise for certain keywords that we also place in the top few in main results. Main reason I do it is that we have a limited number of quality keywords for our business and I want to make sure I get the people who can't/don't discriminate between the paid/free listings. Unfortunately, I don't have any data that could confirm that this makes sense, though my gut is that it does.

Extranet Guy, Jul 12, 2004 IP
  10. thebigsteveman

thebigsteveman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen a lot of retailers that have .25% conversion rate which ain't that good, all the way up to some retailers converting on niche items at 6-8% or more. I believe amazon converts at around 3% overall. For B2b where you mostly just want to generate leads, 5-10% is doable for most niches I have tried. Also with b2b there are a lot of people that just pick up the phone and call, which doesn't show in the conversion reports but brings in a lot of business. Once we started tracking this we realized just how common this is, but again, it is really variable by industry.

thebigsteveman, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  11. wqasdeollkf

wqasdeollkf Peon

Best Answers:
    0.01% on my exp.

wqasdeollkf, Apr 17, 2008 IP