1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Conversion Rate for Books

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by DoctorT, Aug 19, 2016.

Hi!

Does anyone know the average conversion rate for paperback sales in the search network of Google Adwords?

I realize that the conversion rate is influenced by many factors. What am looking for is some general benchmark.

Thank you!

Dr. T

DoctorT, Aug 19, 2016 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are two major determining factors driving conversion rates. The first is properly targeting your prospects. That is, your keywords mainly when using search. You sell paperback books. If you use "books", that is not going to do it since that's too generic. You need to be more specific. If you sell say Star Trek novels, then your keywords have to revolve around those and related terms.

The second factor is your landing page. Even if click your ad, you still need to convince me further that I should buy your product. In the case of books, they are all the same which makes that a bit more difficult. Unless you are selling your own book. But still, few will buy if all you have is a picture of it and the price. You need to give your visitors an incentive.

So the answer to your question, which you answered yourself, is that there are many factors. Knowing that someone is converting at 5% is of no help to you. If you are looking for an average, I don't think that will help you much either. What you want to do is start and improve from there any way that you can.

Lucid Web Marketing, Aug 21, 2016 IP
  3. DoctorT

DoctorT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Dear Lucid Web,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree that one observation -like the 5% you stated- doesn't tell a story. However, averages do tell a story.

For example, in the U.S., the average SAT score is 500 (out of 800). And, that says a lot.

Dr. T

DoctorT, Aug 22, 2016 IP
  4. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Dr. T

Yes, it tells the story that this competitor is converting at 5%. It doesn't mean that you will. If we are talking about averages, it means that more or less half the people do better and the other half does worse.

Now if you knew which was which, you could try and determine why they are doing better or worse than average. You could then emulate those doing well and avoid doing what those doing worse are doing.

You are also forgetting that your question takes all advertisers into account. If there are 5 ads, one would need to know the number of clicks on those ads. There could be none or up to five in a search session. If the searcher clicks all five and buys from one of them, that would be a 100% conversion rate looking at it one way (one sale as a result of clicking at least one ad) and 20% another way (sale sale in five clicks). To one of them, the conversion would be 20% and zero for the rest. You need to be very carefully about statistics and how they are compiled.

But my advice to you is to advertise since not doing so pretty much guarantees few or no sales. Every business has to advertise. And build the best online business you can, from the acquisition (paid and organic) to the sales page. Maximize both sides of the click and you'll be successful.

Lucid Web Marketing, Aug 23, 2016 IP