1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content writing is about to lose its value

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by HomeDesigner, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If it floats your boat then by all means go sailing.:cool:

Spoiltdiva, Jun 10, 2013 IP
  2. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think we are looking in the wrong place, not gonna find anyone rich here!! Which, of course, is the point of the thread.

Emma Pollard, Jun 10, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. HomeDesigner

HomeDesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, you took it seriously ? I'm used to these kind of comments from @Spoiltdiva, I was expecting her to comment anyway.

HomeDesigner, Jun 10, 2013 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You don't know Emma......she was *not* taking it seriously and was going with the flow. *YOU* were taking it seriously ha*ha!:rolleyes:

5. HomeDesigner

Best Answers:
    No i didn't, this is why I asked :D
    I'm not the one who said the idea, and OBVIOUSLY I'm not close enough to *lots* of rich people to deduce that they are arrogant
    Who's so serious about it now ? :D

6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    And you don't know me either. But Emma and I have exchanged *many* PM's and I know her better than you do. By the way, I was joking about the rich. I am *very* well off and I'm not arrogant........well maybe a little bit.;)

browntwn and Emma Pollard like this.
  7. Avener

Avener Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Content writing depends a lot on quality.
    You can't simply say that they're killing the market by offering their price without taking the quality or amount of customers that they are receiving under consideration.

Avener, Jun 10, 2013 IP
  8. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    Its called Irony Hunni, I think @Diva and I have similar strains of humor. :D

Spoiltdiva likes this.
  9. HomeDesigner

Best Answers:
    I don't know anyone, but I enjoy assuming few things from what I read, BTW you are not arrogant, at least not with me.

10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @HomeDesigner takes *everything* seriously....poor baby.:rolleyes:

Emma Pollard likes this.
  11. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    You know you shouldn't make assumptions about people just by what you read, never judge a book by it's cover? I have come across all sorts of people here and if I judged people by what I read there would probably be some who I wouldn't interact with!

HomeDesigner likes this.
  12. HomeDesigner

Best Answers:
    Poor me, now I have the urge to hug someone, and I need a shoulder to cry on. :D come on girl, I only take things seriously when it requires to.

I noticed.

13. HomeDesigner

Best Answers:
    What kind of people would you be interested to interact with ?

14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Quit changing the thread topic...show a little respect to the OP!........Oh wait, I forgot...*you* are the OP!:rolleyes:

15. HomeDesigner

Best Answers:
    That's what happens whenever -you- comment on threads, couldn't you notice ?

16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    There you go again, being overly serious. By the way as to thread topic deviations...I've noticed that no one ever has to force you to participate. You do so willingly, so try to accept some responsibility for your own actions.;)

Emma Pollard likes this.
  17. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Well played.

There are two issues at play here. Many people complain about bad cheap writers taking the jobs. Usually, those are going to ignorant buyers who either don't know or can't tell good writing from bad. But you are actually talking about a cheap good writer who simply undercuts what you think is a fair wage. I feel like that cuts two ways. If he wants to undercut you, so be it, he is free to charge what he wants to try and get more business. That is the way business works. The reality is that if he is a good writer and *can* charge more, he will probably figure that out and end up charging more. If he never figures it out and keeps charging a low rate, that is really his problem.

The idea of a minimum wage for writers across various countries is never going to happen, nor should it. That is just not the way economics works. People who can do the same quality for less money are going to get the work. It has always been this way whether you are talking about writing or making toys or electronics. The key then is to offer something that others cannot do. Write in a style they cannot compete with. If you are competing for bottom end work that *anyone* could crank out then you should expect a lot of competition.

On the other end of the writing market (people charging hundreds or more for articles - i.e. professional journalists), the same thing is happening. Writing of all kinds is losing its relative value to what it was years ago. http://pandodaily.com/2013/03/07/how-much-is-a-piece-of-content-worth/

browntwn, Jun 10, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Back to topic.....this is really an uninformed opinion. One of the pinch hit writers that I (we) occasionally hire when things get a little crazy, is from a country that writers as a rule charge very low rates. But she is so talented that she can (and does) charge rates that any American writer would envy. So your comment doesn't hold out well under scrutiny.

19. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    The issue isn't really with the writers as such, it's about the clients who are demanding a 1000 word article on an obscure topic which is clearly going to need some research (nobody can know everything about everything) so the whole process could potentially take a couple of hours. For 0.01/word (yes I have seen this rate) that equates to $10 ($5/hour). While this may be ok for those in the poorer parts of the world it just don't cut it with the rest of us especially when you take into account the conversion rate for those of us in the UK, we lose about 1 third due to currency conversion, I can't compete with that!

20. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    FYI, I have just responded to a thread in Marketplace and quoted $2/100, this is still lower than I would normally charge but will let you know what happens!!