1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

content thief

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Al-PB, Aug 12, 2004.

Its not a nice feeling when someone lifts some content for your site and this is the second time it has happened. (the first was when someone lifted the whole site design and changed some text and some graphics) he did such a good cover up he left the description of my site in the index. doh

Anyway, its happened again only this time its just portions of text. Some sentences have been lifted totally and some have had subtle words changed. This is a new site he has started and its obvious he has lifted text from me, so can anyone tell me what the best course of action is?
    I checked some of the images he has on his site and was able to trace 3 back to images on sites listed in google because he hasnt changed the jpg name.
    I want to obviously be able to mail him with some confidence that he is in the wrong and i have the right to make him remove my text. (both sites are uk sites if that makes any difference)
    Any help would be appreciated :)
    thanks

Al-PB, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    The only thing you can do is sue them for copyright violations, why don't you give the man a cease and desist letter first.

Second there is technology now that organizations like Playboy use to encode their photos and then the net is scaned to find violations of the images.

I would imagine that the same can be done for web content.

anthonycea, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Alek , has had same experience. See his post.

The following ideas are some I have read.

Frequently contacting the company with which offending webmaster hosts will get site taken down.

Contacting Google regarding Digital Millenium Copyright Act can work. See what Google has to say.

Contacting offending webmaster directly and demand he take down site is another alternative.

This is a maddening situation.

Shannon

Smyrl, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  4. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    I send several DMCAs to Google every month and although it is around 3 months before they remove the offending pages from the index they always do eventually.

Michael, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  5. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    misohoni, Aug 12, 2004 IP
  6. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And if they belong to affiliate programs then threaten to advise the programs as well. Helps if you have a relationship with the program.

Just came across the CopyScape site today and did a check of a few pages and have sent one email off today with more to come. Always seems to be the sites high in the rankings that people copy, which is so stupid because on many occasions people at the top of the SERPs got there by knowing a lot about the internet and know how easy it is to find infringements.

jarvi, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  7. Al-PB

Al-PB Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    I wrote a legal sounding email to them politely stating it would be taken further etc etc if somethin wasnt done immediately and they mailed back saying they would cooperate :)

Al-PB, Aug 17, 2004 IP