1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Management Systems

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Nitin M, Sep 4, 2004.

Curious what content management systems, if any, people use for their sites?

To date I am just using standard header/footer/nav include files and then editing HTML in notepad (no kidding).

Would love a really, really lightweight CMS that allows me to quickly jump between WYSIWYG and code view and doesn't automatically ty to add a bunch of garbage to the page everytime I edit it.

I am thinking about maybe buying editize and just creating my own super simple cms. I am a developer type and don't want a "complete" solution.

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions...

Nitin M, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  2. bobafind

bobafind Peon

Best Answers:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwebsite/

Depending on how much control you want, this includes wysiwyig editors, templates, and a module system so developers can add new functionality. The whole thing is done in PHP and is backed by MySQL.

I've used is for a few things, it's worth taking a look at.

bobafind, Sep 5, 2004 IP
  3. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    visit Open Source CMS .. signup and you get try out many cms packages on their test servers.

payoutwindow, Sep 6, 2004 IP
  4. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the links. I'll be checking them out. The more I think about my sites and my ideal solution the more I think I have no choice but to build my own. But, I'll be taking a look at these and if nothing else, hopefully they will give me a good starting point.

Anyone use the editize product?

Nitin M, Sep 6, 2004 IP
  5. kuhleen

kuhleen Peon

Best Answers:
    I was surprised to see how easy to customise WordPress is; try it at wordpress.org. It's light and easy to use; i use it since two days and can't say anything bad about it yet ;)

kuhleen, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  6. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    "Would love a really, really lightweight CMS that allows me to quickly jump between WYSIWYG and code view and doesn't automatically ty to add a bunch of garbage to the page everytime I edit it."

I would try Chami's HTML editor. It's really useful and not full of clutter.

~david.

david_sakh, Sep 8, 2004 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Just had to ditto that. Plus if you install the PHP interpreter on your machine, you can run the php scripts within the editor. Install Apache and you can do a lot more.

Back on track. Someone mentioned OpenSourceCMS already. I would look at CMS Matrix also. You can get a "matrix" of features to do comparisons with. The features are filled in by volunteer editors or the software makers themselves -- and it is a pretty exaustive list.

The popular CMS going right now is Mambo, while Drupal is not half shabby. An up and coming newcomer that is showing good reviews is Xaraya -- this is one killer app that I need to look into a little more.

Dodger, Sep 15, 2004 IP