1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Management System -- Mambo

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by compar, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Does anybody have any experience with this CMS? It looks very impressive. I wonder what the weaknesses or downsides are?

You can see a demo at http://mamboserver.com/cat/Demo_Site/

compar, Nov 13, 2004 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Bob

I've got a job coming up I'm planning to use it for. Would be interested in seeing the feedback too. They've got some pretty big companies using it and it appears to be well respected.

Sarah

sarahk, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  3. blueuniverse

blueuniverse Guest

Best Answers:
    I have it on my server, but I've never got round to putting the site up properly.

It does have very good support though on the forums, and the admin panel is really, really good. There are quite a few modules to download. Also, there are SEO friendly page names but they come out a bit weird e.g. content/sitename/category/subcategory/page/ etc.

It really depends on what you want in a cms, but it is one of the best around. Also, its quite easy to make templates as there is a dreamweaver extension which inserts the proper code for the footer, header, banner etc.

blueuniverse, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  4. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Yeah I do Bob ... I am trying to get my head around these systems - and you can look at one here

Food Network

I have tried a number of them ..Xoops, Drupal, postNuke etc and the latest update of Mambo has moved it ahead IMHO

It is now more flexible than before.

What you see here is the start of a "generic" site that should point at the relevant others. So I am taking a slow approach from an SEO point of view to see how long it takes to get in places as I add and change things

So far

No 3 allinurl
    No 58 allinanchor

and I now have 16 pages site:www.food-network-ok.com

BUT only 1 of those is Mambo the others are from the lma directory whcih was placed first, before Mambo.

If Mambo does get listed then I will probably spend more time on it and develop it - if it doesn't I will drop it and develop another way

:)

Foxy, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  5. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    mambo is fantastic, probably the best out there, although the newest version of Drupal is supposed to knock the pants off it. Mambo is potchy to set up, but a pro should have no problems.

Old Welsh Guy, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  6. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes Mambo is great ... it has been discussed a couple of times here as well, and a search should yield more opinions.

As usuall, I vote for Mambo and I am using it on all the sites in my sig.

I don't think this is true, the first time I did it I was following the document that came with the Mambo Install and it worked straight out of the box. Since then te other times it been part of Fantastico ... and 3 clicks and bang!!! its installed.
    I have also done some server hopping with one of the Mambo sites and have never had hassles getting it back up and running.

payoutwindow, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  7. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Hi Bob,

Yes I have several years experience with it, and deployed it for a variety of clients.

In my opinion, it's the best OS CMS out there, and very flexible. With the most recent release the API is also great for developing your own add ons etc.

In terms of SEO, it does need a few tweaks (although it addresses SEO more than most). You'll want to buy SEF from Phil Taylor (one of the core developers) to keep your paths engine friendly - truth be told, if you're not needing to SEO the *ss off your mambo site, just add SEF and it's basically turnkey.

As far as user management is concerned it's good (unless you need more than just a couple of user groups), and there's a number of components and modules that'll help there.

There's also good support for your usual payment gateways, though anything like Verisign, Esec etc you'll need to have coded (I've written components for both).

If you've any specific Q's just PM me. I can most likely answer your Q's off the bat.

Cheers,

JL.

Oh PS: For a good look at a range of CMS' try: http://www.opensourcecms.com./ - it covers dozens of them and provides access to administration interface for each etc. As testament to Mambo, the site itself is actually run on Mambo - just like SEO Chat.

john_loch, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  8. clubbin714

clubbin714 Peon

Best Answers:
    I got to agree with pretty much what every one alse has already said. Mambo is by far the best CMS I have ever used.

clubbin714, Nov 14, 2004 IP
  9. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Foxy, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Wow these look awesome. Maybe it's time for me to get a new website. ;) Actually I may be good for another site of mine!

TwisterMc, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  11. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Are they released under GNU?
    can I take apart. :cool:

darksat, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  12. baddnet

baddnet Peon

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to add...That Mambo is super sweet...I'm not a webmaster but even I find it easy to manage..
    you can look at our site at www.baddnet.net
    It is work in progress ..but what site isn't :)

baddnet, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  13. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    have you looked at www.baddnet.net in Firefox? I think some background colors are missing. ;)

TwisterMc, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  14. baddnet

baddnet Peon

Best Answers:
    TwisterMC... No I had not...thanks for the info..LOL..
    guess I better work on that... :)

baddnet, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  15. anton-io!

anton-io! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since having installed Mambo, have been quite happy with management of content.

The menu system and ceating sub-menus can be a bit challenging at first, not to be discouraged, I was glad I spent some time fiddling with it.

Where to place content and how things tie in together can take some time, but well worth it!

anton-io!, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  16. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Man I keep thinking I should install it but I really have no reason. ;) Just sounds fun.

TwisterMc, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  17. dyn4mik3

dyn4mik3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I like mambo but prefer spip to it. Head over to www.spip.net/en and check it out - its more content centric.

dyn4mik3, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  18. cafemonkey

cafemonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Mambo for all of my sites. That doesn't mean that it's the best, but it works well, and I've gotten used to it.

The forums are a little slow to get responses from, but not terrible. Documentation is bad, but fortunately the quality of the code makes up for it.

It is easy to template, and easy to modify. I just coded my first module today... For the Coop Ad Network!

mamboforge.net/projects/mod-coop-ad-net/

I bought the Advanced SEF (about $50) and it works great. They also have a FOSS Advanced SEF, but I hear it's buggy. I also got the Real Estate Module "Hot Property". It's $120, but takes care of all the agent management, and they can handle their own properties... Works like a champ!

cafemonkey, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  19. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Nothin like a little initiative I reckon.

I hope it rakes in the referrals for you cafemonkey - it's certainly a good idea (assuming you see referrals through it - I haven't looked at it).

Either way, mambo's not too bad - though even with advanced SEF you do have limitations. Major ones.

I think a much better job can be done for SEF's in different ways.

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  20. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Soo... a few months later... any new Mambo thoughts? I'm thinking about installing it.

TwisterMc, Feb 15, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.