1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Congratulations on doing a good job on this gambling category

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peppy, Feb 21, 2010.

Normally I check around the DMOZ categories just to see what kind of sites are listed and when the last time it was updated (Since I am very critical of DMOZ). Though sometimes I check to see if there are any good sites there to get ideas for my own site. This area is also in my industry.

I am very surprised at whoever is editing this category: http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Gambling/Blackjack/

I've never actually seen such a well edited category, ESPECIALLY in any of the gambling sections of DMOZ. I see all of the big and well known sites listed here that SHOULD be listed there. So for once, I have to offer my congratulations to this editor for not shutting out all the legit and popular sites and adding a bunch of spammy sites.

By the way, you could add another large and informative blackjack site: http://www.lolblackjack.com/

This is my site by the way.

peppy, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So you're thinking you can @ss kiss your way in? :p

CReed, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  3. sherone

sherone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    best of luck for your endeavor to list your site in Dmoz. lol...

sherone, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  4. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol yeah I thought the post would sound sort of like"@ss kissing" as well.

Honestly though, I've been criticizing DMOZ so much and being annoying on the Resource Zone. By now I'm pretty sure Jim Noble and every DMOZ admin/meta/editor knows about me and my sites. They took it personally and now and all my sites, IP and email addresses are on their personal blacklists.

It is expected that my domains would never be included now, even if they had the best quality materials or was sold to anyone. Since it's on the admin blacklist and no editor is going to touch it unless they want to be hit by the DMOZ admin hit squad.

Though if my sites were unknown to the admins, my hopes right now would have gone up after seeing that one category now becoming solidly legit.

peppy, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  5. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted one of my blogs 2 weeks ago and don't care if it get's added or not but at least i know i tried. I am going to submit another blog next month and do the same, forget about it.

I am pretty sure the dmoz editors do not have a checklist with your domains on it sitting on there desk. You could always submit to those Dmoz imitation directories. You know the ones who have very simliar domain name with spammy listings with keyword filled descriptions and titles. Find a few high quality directories that except gambling links to makeup for not getting into dmoz.

Let's just hope that category editor is not lurking in this thread drinking a beer saying... "I gottcha again"

snakeair, Feb 21, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  6. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I lol'd at this thread.

(pun intended)

EveryQuery, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Never heard of you. But I am glad to say that you will not get blacklisted because they don't like you, being abusive or spamming is different but remember even Q's site is listed, when its operational;).

But as we keep saying, a site review for a possible listing can take years. That's not personal but just how it works. Someone needs to volunteer to work in that area and use the suggestions pool. Till that time all suggestions get a good wetting in the pool.

Anonymously, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    peppy = snappingpig (banned at DP and RZ))
    (Peppy is the name of his dog)

jimnoble, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  9. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol! Now how did you know Peppy is the name of my dog? Jeeze you are sure out to get me, DMOZ Admin.

You are correct in your conclusion though, here is the real peppy, never before seen on DP or DMOZ:
    http://www.lolblackjack.com/peppy.jpg

peppy, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  10. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Be afraid....Be very afraid (LOL)

snooks, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  11. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    lmao guess he deserves it for bad mouthing the job you guys all work hard at. Kind of creepy about knowing the dog thing though haha i didn't realize DMOZ editors were all privy to that kind of information. Seeing as there are DMOZ editors here, you'll know the answer to this, Does DMOZ accept sites very often anymore, you must get 100's of 1000's of submissions each month alone?

TimothyJohn, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Many sites are published on a daily basis and i heard something about we added 9000 sites in January alone.

We get a huge amount of suggestions each month, but many editors prefer to source sites through other methods, surfing and finding sites by themselves. The suggestion pool is merely one way of finding sites and depending upon what category you are editing in, the pool can be clean, or it can be a dirty, muddy (spammy) swamp :)

I spent all Sunday afternoon building the cancer categories because i realised that there wasnt much information for people after support groups or organisations in the Oceania Region. There is now, with 50 or so more in the suggestion pool. All these were sourced by me, only 2 were in the suggestion pool. A lot different than editing in gambling, limos, tourisim, etc.

snooks, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  13. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    Wow i didn't realize so much effort was put in by you all and that you accepted so many suggestions. Keep up the good work! :)

TimothyJohn, Feb 23, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  14. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Official AOL statistics for last year http://blog.dmoz.org/

Anonymously, Feb 23, 2010 IP