1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Confusion in getting started with dropshipping store

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Reina Blocker, May 7, 2017.

Hello:

This is my first attempt at truly getting out of the "employee mentality" and I am trying to branch out into the world of drop shipping. I've been following the forums for some time until I've gotten some funds together to actually begin this journey. I am confused by the steps I need to take as there are so many options out there.

So...here's what I know:

1.) domain name
    2.) Wordpress
    3.) Plugin to import my products
    4.) supplier

For wordpress, at the most basic level, do I need shopify or something similar for it to work as my webstore or can I simply use wordpress and the plugin to add products?

I'm trying not to get overwhelmed because I know this is simpler that I'm making it, but I want to make sure that I make the best use of the small funds that I do have to invest.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Reina Blocker, May 7, 2017 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the plugin and a brief description of its function? It might be enough by itself. If it pulls in products automatically you want to be careful of your site's Inode usage. In my experience plugins that go get product images, descriptions, and the like, and then post them on auto tend to drive your usage numbers up quick.

Also, if you pull in the products manually you'll want to make sure you delete obsolete postings as products disappear from the dropshipper's inventory.

Choose the dropshipper carefully. Over the years I've had two of them suddenly disappear on me. One was after a big sale. When I went to place the order the dropshipper's website was gone. I had no upfront notification and had to apologize and refund the funds to the customer after paying processing fees for the merchant account.

JoeSpirit, May 7, 2017 IP
  3. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to use alidropship plugin that uses WordPress. Not sure if that's what you are asking. I only what to start with about 10 products to work with so I'm hoping usage won't take too much of a hit until I am able to learn more.
    With ur supplier that fell off, when u started with them, did u reach out to them before purchasing? I'm just trying to learn from ur experience. Thank you for replying to me. Ur information is very helpful.

Reina Blocker, May 7, 2017 IP
  4. jamilWinkelbaum

jamilWinkelbaum Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if you have a preference for Wordpress, but a combination of Shopify and Oberlo are used by quite a large number of people out there. Shopify has a great write-up on how to get started with dropshipping: https://www.shopify.ca/guides/dropshipping

From my experience and what I've seen, setting up the store is the easy part. Marketing your site is the challenge. Many seem to use Facebook ads to target potential customers for this.

jamilWinkelbaum, May 7, 2017 IP
  5. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    The alidropship plugin looks like it allows you to choose the number of products you list and 10 products shouldn't overload your inodes. So I'd say you'll be okay there.

With dropship reaching out to the supplier before the purchase doesn't really apply. You get an order from your customer (the customer pays at the time he orders) then you go to your supplier to order the product to be shipped to your customer. I got a large order and when I went to my supplier to arrange the shipping I found that the website was gone. I'd visited the site and all was fine a couple days before that. I checked back again the next day and it was still down. Attempts to contact the supplier went unanswered. I had to contact the customer to explain the situation and refund the purchase price.

I do agree with jamilWinkelbaum though. The marketing will be your greater challenge. I don't expect Aliexpress will go anywhere in the near future. So the product supply should be sound.

JoeSpirit, May 8, 2017 IP
  6. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    JoeSpirit, May 8, 2017 IP
  7. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the information. I will take a look at the article. Thank you for replying.

Reina Blocker, May 10, 2017 IP
  8. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you! You've given me a little more confidence in myself. It's hard to get my mind right to work for myself, but even more difficult to keep getting up to be on time for somebody else. I appreciate your time and effort.

Reina Blocker, May 10, 2017 IP
  9. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    I understand what you're saying. When you work for someone else you have a definite time when you're supposed to be at a certain place. That's pretty much set in stone - don't show up and you don't work for that someone else anymore.

But when you work for yourself it's easy to put tasks off. It's easy to think that you'll start later in the day rather than get busy in the morning. The problem is life tends to get in the way and you never get that later in the day start.

Part of the path to success is maintaining the disciplines that carry you forward toward where you want to go. You must find ways to not let yourself down.

JoeSpirit, May 12, 2017 IP
  10. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with what you're saying. It takes dedication and focus. I believe I have it in me, I've just never had to rely on solely myself. I always look at it as, if it doesn't work out I still have my full time job to fall back on, however, I don't think that this is the way we are supposed to live: helping someone else play golf while I keep the shop open. It's no life and Lord knows uncle Sam is getting richer as I get poorer trying to get ahead. I'm mentally tired and over that life.

Reina Blocker, May 12, 2017 IP
  11. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    One thing that I've always believed is that you just won't do something unless you truly want to. If you're looking for success with an at home job (which to me is still helping someone else play golf while you keep the shop open actually) or success with a business of your own you must want it enough that you'll do anything you can within legal limits to achieve that success.

I recently read "You Can't Teach A Kid To Ride A Bike At A Seminar" by David Sandler. One thing he says kind've stuck with me. He says when you have a goal that you really want write it on a piece of paper and fold it up to the size of a penny. Decide when you want to achieve it and stick that paper in with your change and carry it until the date you decided on comes. Every time you take your change out unfold the note and read it. Eventually, it will be in your head so you won't have to read it. From that point each time you pull it out just think the words as if you're reading them. By the time your deadline gets here you'll have already achieved the goal.

I don't think I've ever heard goal achievement explained like that before. Although it is similar to posting the note everywhere you'll be looking.

One thing I did discover once though is when you approach your goal achievement in that manner you have to be extremely aware of familiarity blindness. By that I mean that when you see that note on a repetitive basis you eventually reach the point where you actually no longer see it. So you must force yourself to see it from that time on.

JoeSpirit, May 13, 2017 IP
  12. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right. You are absolutely correct in everything you said. If this is my dream, which I believe the ultimate goal in getting from my job is FREEDOM then I must do everything legally possible to make that happen. I like the idea of putting that on paper and walking around with it, opening it up everyday so I remember. The book you mention seems to be a good read as well. You've given me something to truly think about and reflect on this weekend. I need more than just to run away from my full time job and I need to make it plain. Thank you for your insight! I wish I had something to give back to you. I've got a lot of learning to do.

Reina Blocker, May 13, 2017 IP
  13. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    You're welcome. Always happy to help. The book is a good read. I found it on Amazon, used. Another resource you might be interested is Paul Meyer's newsletter "TalkBiz News." I've been reading that for years. Paul always has some great insights for building a business. You should be able to Google it and there's no cost for the newsletter itself.

JoeSpirit, May 14, 2017 IP
  14. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm so engrossed in this newsletter. I'm getting excited all over again. This is just what I need! I've set up my shop and only added one item. I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know what it is though. The next step would be marketing, but I don't know where to begin. I'm hoping the ebook Paul wrote will provide me with some insight.

Reina Blocker, May 16, 2017 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  15. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Good luck Reina. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

JoeSpirit, May 16, 2017 IP
  16. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I'm sure we will speak again soon, lol.

Reina Blocker, May 16, 2017 IP
  17. NCorp

NCorp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello Reina,

I have a few helpful tips that may help you get started. I use the AliDropship plugin myself.
    1. First of all, import your 10 products and write out your own descriptions for them. Try not to use the text that is automatically filled in. This will give you better search results, and easily improve the quality of your website. Make sure your images look good with no Chinese text.
    2. Install the McAfee plugin. I do this to quickly increase customer trust and make them feel safer. It is free!
    3. Make sure to put your support email at the top of the page.
    4. Create social media pages on at least Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
    5. Use the social rabbit plugin to keep your social media pages alive and automated.

I hope these can help! There are thousands of things you can do to improve the trust and usability of your website. Just keep moving forward, and work on one at a time. This is a journey, not something you can build and leave alone. One you start making sales, it will feel soooo good!

NCorp, May 21, 2017 IP
  18. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!! I've followed your post on making ur first sale. You seem to be on an awesome journey and the information you've given to me on this post is invaluable. Let me ask this because I'm on a slightly smaller scale.

I have purchased WordPress and my domain name for the year, but I was not able to get the plugin just yet. Is it feasible to start with the WordPress and shopify (the $9/mo plan, advertising on social media) first and then build up to the plugin? Every step I take, I pause because I think that I'm doing something wrong. I've been reading and researching, but falling short in implementing. Could you provide a little insight, please? Thank you for replying.

Reina Blocker, May 22, 2017 IP
  19. NCorp

NCorp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would suggest holding off on Shopify for now. Only because it costs monthly, and it isn't the full solution. I have one of my eCommerce sites on Shopify and it isn't quite as easy to customize as WordPress.

If you can't pay for the plugin just yet, check out https://www.woodropship.com/. It is a free 7 day trial, then $14/month. I haven't used it, but it lets you add products from AliExpress and auto-fulfill orders. By the way, you can use the code 'STARTER25' to get AliDropship for $75. This is a one-time purchase, not monthly. Not a bad deal!

As long as you continue to take steps, it is okay if you make mistakes. There isn't really a 100% correct way of doing this. Try to experiment on your own at times. You may learn something no one else has figured out yet.

NCorp, May 22, 2017 IP
  20. Reina Blocker

Reina Blocker Peon

Best Answers:
    I will try that, thank you. And you're right about trial and error. I think I'm holding myself to high expectations when I still have a learning curve. I appreciate your direction. Thank you.

Reina Blocker, May 22, 2017 IP