1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Confused between Forum platforms. Which one to choose? Wordpress or Meteor?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by D S Aman, Mar 20, 2015.

I am trying to build a community for my blog where people can discuss news and post discussions. I dont want to go into traditional forums like vbulletin, because I want a reddit style of navigation. Finally I have two options to choose from:

An open source project that is based on Meteor: http://www.telescopeapp.org/

or a wordpress theme that is: http://epicplugins.com/hackers/

I am really confused between these two options. I am more familiar with wordpress, therefore, I want to go with it. But I am not sure about its scalability. Can a wordpress forum on such a theme be scaled without consuming too much server resources? Is wordpress capable enough, or made that way to handle it? I often face WP memory issues while uploading images itself on the post, then how can a wordpress forum handle posting by multiple users at a time? But as I see, many websites use wordpress forums.

Also, I have a blog with increasing readership in India, and that's why I expect a good amount of traffic on the forum community in the next 6 months (At max somewhat around 2-250 users at once on the website, I know its a lot and I may not be able to achieve it, but still I need to think about extreme before creating because my blog does get this type of traffic during peak times currently). And once I create a forum on wordpress, as far as I think, I won't be able to switch to another platform then (If i am right). Then which platform would you suggest? Would wordpress be a niche choice? I dont want to spend an insane amount of money on server resources later on just to keep my site running if wordpress is not able to handle it. Please help!

D S Aman, Mar 20, 2015 IP