1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Confused about where to go for hosting.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by WebDizzy777, Apr 12, 2012.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this!

I do web design for myself and a few other small businesses. I have always just used a separate GoDaddy account for each website, had the customer buy their own hosting and domain name and I made the website.
    However, I am now going to do this for people I don’t know and start my own web design firm. After reading so many reviews it sounds like everyone has negative reviews about GoDaddy, and their email service is not good, and their bandwidth, cpu etc. is limited. So when I start creating websites for money I will be purchasing their hosting and domain name (charge them a fee up front and monthly maintenance fee) and am wondering what the best option is now for price AND most importantly performance.

I also am confused (u can call it an ammeter question) do all of my customers need a separate hosting account, or as the web master do I have a bulk hosting account for all of the domain names and files together? In the past (because I wasn’t commercial it was small businesses I know and did as a courtesy) they all just bought their own go daddy accounts and had their own customer numbers etc.

Thanks, any advice on hosting is appreciated!

Also please if you design multiple web sites for customers and take care of their hosting what do you use, how do you do it (i.e. separate accounts) and do you like it?

The sites I make will have like 10,000 traffic per month and some have lots of videos/media and most have credit card processing. Also most include JavaScript and of course, css and html.

Also, if it matters, I am in the US

WebDizzy777, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  2. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you need a reseller hosting plan so that you can have separate cPanel logins for each of your clients.

micksss, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  3. WebDizzy777

WebDizzy777 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Great! So the first thing ill start to research is reseller plans, anyone have and personal experience with these?

WebDizzy777, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  4. PanosZ

PanosZ Member

Best Answers:
    You had bad experience with them?

PanosZ, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  5. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    Reseller plans are what you need for your clients. The big box companies have been getting a bad reputation lately across many of the forums. You may want to explore a mid level company which still values its customers at a personal level and will assist you with 24/7 technical support and will offer cPanel for your reseller plan. Look for a company that has good pricing but that isn't completely cheap. Also, consider how long a company has been around. The hosting world is cluttered with fly by night businesses.

JPC-Sabrina, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  6. tiffanywilliams12i2

tiffanywilliams12i2 Peon

Best Answers:
    you should be fine on a reseller with that traffic

tiffanywilliams12i2, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  7. Artifexus

Artifexus Active Member

Best Answers:
    I actually have a hostgator reseller plan just for my own websites, and have been very happy with them. I like the individual cpanel logins. I also use their baby plan and never had a problem with it, either.

The problem gjaren is having is with one of their unlimited plans, and some people are going to run into that on a unlimited hosting plan, no matter who you host with. The reseller plans shouldn't have the same problem.

Artifexus, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  8. rmcs0426

rmcs0426 Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to get a VPS is you want to use so often videos/media so you can have more freedom to have all the traffic and managing it. Also you will be able to add anything you wish to add to it. In addition, once you are in a VPS you become a master by default so you will be able to sale resellers and cpanel accts. I see you mentioned you want to have credit card processing meaning you will need to have an ssl certificate meaning this will cost more on top of monthly price of the VPS. You get root access and manage it however you want to and add any add-on you decide to implement.

rmcs0426, Apr 12, 2012 IP
  9. dlinchevskiy

dlinchevskiy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Suggest dedicated server, all resources are yours and no limits. Whats your budget?

dlinchevskiy, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  10. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't go for Godaddy, it's the worst one.
    I recommend Hostgator Hosting.

pupul, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  11. RoboHosts

RoboHosts Guest

Best Answers:
    You maybe need to consider VPS small vps package.

RoboHosts, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  12. obosor

obosor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will suggest you to go for VPS if you want to host video, audio.

obosor, Apr 13, 2012 IP
  13. alex_e

alex_e Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Resellers will do the job if you arent hosting high resource websites.

alex_e, Apr 14, 2012 IP
  14. um.

um. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    um., Apr 14, 2012 IP
  15. 1truth

1truth Member

Best Answers:
    keep in mind godaddy is domain registrar not a good web host. always use two different places for domain and hosting.

i suggest using namecheap.com or name.com for domains and shopaserver.com for web hosting. great combination in terms of service, performance and prices.

1truth, Apr 14, 2012 IP
  16. Redsw

Redsw Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all you should say how much are you ready to spend on hosting?

Redsw, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  17. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As many have already said, you need a reseller account for this. You'll have the "high-level" reseller account, and your customers will have a "hosting account" that is owned and managed by the reseller account.

Each customer can have their own hosting account under your reseller account. Whether you give them access to their hosting account is up to you. We host a lot of designers and a lot of them manage their customers accounts for them so their customers don't need to worry about uploading files, setting up email accounts etc etc (although it's all very easy with control panels). This is usually done as part of the "service" to their clients.

Others might set-up the site for their client but then give their client access to the Control Panel and let them use that to set up email accounts or other settings.

The choice is yours. Whatever you, or your clients, are most comfortable with. There's no set rules, but the only advice I'd give is to make sure that if you offer value-added services such as managing all the aspects of your clients hosting so they don't need to bother, and if they need an new email account they just contact you, MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID FOR IT. The management could end up taking a fair bit of your time so don't get suckered into running their web sites and settings for perpetuity without proper compensation (just a warning!!!).

10,000 what? You might want to clarify the traffic.

A lot of the time I'd recommend NOT putting videos directly on the site with shared hosting (which is what reseller hosting is). Shared hosting tends to have restrictions on that in their terms, and their bandwidth is likely to be limited. Just upload the video to YouTube (which has enormous bandwidth) and link to the video from the site. That's what most companies do and there's nothing detrimental or "cheap" about doing that.

RonBrown, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  18. Andrew Lippis

Andrew Lippis Guest

Best Answers:
    Andrew Lippis, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  19. dom19

dom19 Active Member

Best Answers:
    which location are you looking for ? USA ?

dom19, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  20. vikramrandhawa

vikramrandhawa Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you go with DHost. I am using web hosting from (DHost.com) from last 4 years, DHost also good services provider, who provide the 24*7 good support through ticket support, live chat, contact number. They are also providing domain registration, that is very affordable price to market for Eg: (.com-470, .in-90, .biz-260, .org-440) etc.

vikramrandhawa, Apr 20, 2012 IP