1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Confused about if I should leave my job ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ezguy, Apr 11, 2016.

I work at Microsoft as a contractor doing developmet. This contract might last another 6 months and they might extend it.

I got another job position as contractor this is for two years, at Department of defense. This job is in California, and I am currently in WA.

I am confused as to what to do. Can some one give me their views. I already worked for a year with MS.

My question is which one is best for my career.

ezguy, Apr 11, 2016 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The very fact that you are asking means that you have doubts about your future. This insecurity will rob you of the quality of life that we all seek. Get out as fast as you can. "Leave the past and embrace the future".
    This is my mantra that I came up with and use, and it has always worked for me. Good luck to you with all. And remember....a life lived in fear is a life only half lived. Go for it with both guns blazing!

Spoiltdiva, Apr 11, 2016 IP
    3mints.info and ezguy like this.
  3. truz

truz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree more with what Spoiltdiva has said. The fact that you are reaching out publicly for opinions shows your uncertainty. It's a very good feeling to know you have long term security in your work field. If you do not have that currently, seek a new opportunity and live life.

Best of luck to you sir.

truz, Apr 11, 2016 IP
    ezguy likes this.
  4. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to you both :)

ezguy, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Since both are relatively longterm contracts and you do not indicate a compensation difference, I am thinking mostly of the quality of the employer. MS, while probably a great place to work is unlikely to be as good or as longterm as the DoD. Working for the government usually pays the best benefits and has the best longterm rewards. I know people who have been civilian employees of the DoD for decades and really, really like it. As a contractor with them, you would likely find opportunities to become a fulltime employee with them if they like your work within that two-year window.

So, the next question would be is are you ready to uproot yourself from friends/family and move 1,000 miles away (or at least hundreds of miles away?) If the answer is "Yes" I would be looking hard at the DoD job.

jrbiz, Apr 14, 2016 IP
  6. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Difference is $25,000 , DOD is willing to pay me $25,000 more than MS.

I have no friends and family here, If i move to CA I will be close to My brother.

ezguy, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to point even more so to the DoD position. ;)

jrbiz, Apr 19, 2016 IP
  8. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The thing is once you are comfortable in one place, its hard to move lol. But I believe life is about taking risks.

Also we found like 4 mouse in our apartment, it's a sign I guess we need to move.

ezguy, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I am not sure that a rodent infestation is an omen, but it does seem like the DoD option would be the better of the two. Of course, the extra $20K will be offset by higher cost of living (probably) but still, all in all, it seems like the right choice. Good luck!

jrbiz, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  10. CodablePixel

CodablePixel Active Member

Best Answers:
    moving is definitely a chore but change of place is always a rejuvenating experience. and as said above by jrbiz DoD option will add more weight to your CV. is it any sensitive work?

CodablePixel, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  11. zz2008

zz2008 Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like the move to CA is the way to go. Friends and jobs come and go, family is forever. Follow your heart

zz2008, Apr 20, 2016 IP
    ezguy likes this.
  12. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you think it will add more weight to my CV ? I have no idea, what kind of work it is. I will know once I start.

ezguy, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  13. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a little high there, compared to Redmond, might be 20% more cost of living. I told them I will start in a month, I have not told any one here. Why do you think it is a better option ?

ezguy, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    As I mentioned above, the DoD is offering 2 years and you only have six months for sure at MS; DoD is probably a better career choice from the perspective I outlined above, though MS is nothing to sneeze at; DoD is paying $20,000 more; family is there.

And don't forget the mice. :)

jrbiz, Apr 20, 2016 IP
  15. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you use a roller ball, a tablet, a touchscreen, etc. you don't even need 4 mice.

mmerlinn, Apr 30, 2016 IP
  16. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Numbers aside, every time I moved away from Seattle, I regretted it. Seattle is so, so, very nice a place to live. Surely there are more jobs in Seattle than in CA. Just my .02

JohnScott, May 1, 2016 IP
  17. FarSide

FarSide Member

Best Answers:
    I resigned my contracting position last week. :p Moving to the stable job.

Good luck with your change!

FarSide, May 2, 2016 IP
  18. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And every time I went to or through Seattle, I regretted it.

Further, Seattle has the highest taxes in Washington State, very comparable to California overall.

mmerlinn, May 2, 2016 IP
  19. JohnScott

JohnScott Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Taxes, yeah. I had offices in Pioneer Square until Seattle did their per-square foot tax. I closed the office and moved to Japan when they did that. Japan is great tax-wise, but regulations mean having to pay a employment compliance officer to file reports on everything we do. So, trade-off happen.

I think the ideal would be someplace outside of King County, but close to Seattle. Just my personal preference.

JohnScott, May 2, 2016 IP
  20. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I live in Redmond, I do not pay any taxes, well it is expensive than Florida though. Yes WA is a beautiful state, not many people know how beautiful it is here.
    You live in Japan, you have a work permit ?

ezguy, May 3, 2016 IP