1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Configure Apache to gracefully replace dynamic site

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Morten W. Petersen, Mar 14, 2021.

Hi.

I have a website, where the host has decided that the best thing to do, is to create a (poor) static copy of the site, probably because of security concerns. I need to create a temporary placeholder.

So I'll have index.html, logo.png, logo.svg, missing.html and robots.txt. All 404s, should be redirected to missing.html temporarily, or maybe a 503 should be returned, with the (content of) missing.html.

How can I do this in an Apache configuration file? It has its own VirtualHost.

Thanks,

Morten

Morten W. Petersen, Mar 14, 2021 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Can you change your hosting company?

sarahk, Mar 14, 2021 IP
  3. Morten W. Petersen

Morten W. Petersen Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess they have good reasons to disable the dynamic site. I've missed getting some communication about it though, I discovered it randomly when another service they provide was unavailable.

And yes, I will change the hosting company.

But what do you guys think, is it better to do a temporary redirect on content that is missing, or should I go for a 503?

Morten W. Petersen, Mar 15, 2021 IP