1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Condenser Mic Too Low

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Nowler, Aug 31, 2017.

Hello,
    I recently bought what I suspect is a knock off BM-800 condenser microphone which looks great but is recording too low.

I bought it from "Wish" for €30 or so and it was being sold as "Zingyou BM-800 Condenser Microphone".

Obviously if this is a knock off, the immediate assumption is that the mic is faulty.
    I would however like to rule out some things before I throw it away (maybe it's not a fake)

I bought a legit Neewer phantom power (NW-100) but I am a little put off by the mic's XLR cable being a XLR to small jack, which is then plugged into a converter to USB (this is what came in the box). The mic to phantom is an XLR to XLR but the wire from the phantom to the laptop is XLR to Jack to USB.

I went into control panel and turned the mic to the max even with my lips pressed to the bare mic, it's barely picking up my voice.

Any suggestions apart from not buying knock offs or throwing the mic away?

PS: I tried not using the USB (jack to laptop) but it was a no go too.
    Also, I read something about a preamp? Would I need that for a condenser mic with phantom power?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Nowler, Aug 31, 2017 IP