1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Computer Geniuses: What piece of hardware is this called?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rochow, Sep 14, 2008.

At present, my home office computers have ethernet cables running from the home office out to the kitchen where the only phone jack in the house is. To reduce clutter I want to have just the 1 cable running from the kitchen to the home office into a hub/switch/something which all the office computers are then plugged into.

What would I have to buy? A hub, switch, or something else?

Thanks! :D

rochow, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  2. Logitechie

Logitechie Peon

Best Answers:
    This would be called a router my friend. One you plug the 1 ethernet cord into the router, use other short ones to connect up to X amount of other computers. Router is best as you can set firewalls and allow/block certain sites, also it handles DHCP.

Logitechie, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  3. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    May be a little more information will help us to help you..
    First of all, why you need to connect the phone line in your computers? To access internet?

Abhik, Sep 14, 2008 IP
  4. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a router in the kitchen. So router will be in the kitchen, ethernet cable will run from the kitchen into my office, which then plug into XYZ which all the computers plug into.

So I'm after XYZ :)

Yep, for the internet. Currently have lots of ethernet cables all going to from the office to the router in the kitchen, its crazy :D

rochow, Sep 14, 2008 IP