1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Compressing HTML5 Video Background

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by airattack111, Aug 16, 2014.

Hey everyone I need some assistance and advice compressing a raw, 12 second duration, 234mb, 1080p, .mov video file for use on the web as a fullwidth background. (height defined, width as cover, aka not full page just a slider)

I'm using Adobe Media Encoder CC. The video slider calls for a .mp4 and a .webm. I added a (3) gaussian blur and a smooth 29.97 frame rate to each output. The files come in at 17.3mb for the .webm, and 11mb for the .mp4. This is still at 1080p with the slight blur to bring down file size. The videos look acceptable at these settings on a full 1080p monitor.

However, I would prefer to get these videos down to roughly 5-8mb since they will be used on a website. The problem is when I compress these videos further the quality gets bad to the point that it just doesn't look good at all. I really like where they are at right now but I know the filesize is just too big.

Also keep in mind the video is replaced by an image on cell phones and tablets for quicker loading.

Any advice? I'm sure I could do some editing and compression in Adobe Premier but I just learned how to use the simpler encoder, I'm not familiar with Premier.

Thanks

airattack111, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  2. airattack111

airattack111 Member

Best Answers:
    http://bassltd.com.s50556.gridserver.com

Here's a link, just running the video in the slider. It doesn't work well in safari or firefox right now. Have to make some .htaccess edits. But if you have chrome or opera it will work fine.

As you can see it looks decent when you stretch your browser window. That's 17mb .webm file. The raw 234mb file obviously looks crisp... But to me it doesn't even look like 17mb, I would think a 17mb video would be cleaner than it is now. That's why I'm hoping there's a way to get it down to 5-8mb and still look decent.

3. Riots

Riots Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't compress that video anymore than it is.
    You will lose video quality. In fact I think you can make the video bigger in size and in file size.
    17mb should load on any device with speed. Even 3g connections should be able to stream that file size with no issue.
    Most users have 3g or faster connection. It should not be an issue.

When you export from premiere I usually select the Youtube highest quality and export a .mp4
    If you have a final output under 100mb you should be fine. If your worried about bandwidth usage.
    Which you shouldn't be most hosting companies allow you tons of bandwidth . but if you are
    Just upload to youtube and use that as the video host your video. There are plenty of ways to get the slider to use a youtube video in full screen.

Riots, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  4. airattack111

airattack111 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I'm worried about is loading time on slower connections. It's going to be on the homepage and will be one of the first things visitors see.

5. Riots

Riots Active Member

Best Answers:
    lets put it this way. if they on a connection so slow not able to stream video. maybe they shouldn't be on the website.

Riots, Aug 16, 2014 IP
  6. airattack111

airattack111 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a bunch for the advice. I was getting (streaming) mixed up with (downloading).

airattack111, Aug 17, 2014 IP
  7. jasmeencress

jasmeencress Member

Best Answers:
    With the new HTML5, the developers can utilize Localstore, which is better than using cookies in most cases. WebDesigners gain more control because they can now play Videos/Music natively in the browser and because browsers nowadays feature hardware acceleration, this will probably become the ideal solution for sites such as YouTube etc (YouTube already has a HTML5 video api).

jasmeencress, Nov 15, 2014 IP
  8. jasmeencress

jasmeencress Member

Best Answers:
    With the new HTML5, the developers can utilize Localstore, which is better than using cookies in most cases. WebDesigners gain more control because they can now play Videos/Music natively in the browser and because browsers nowadays feature hardware acceleration, this will probably become the ideal solution for sites such as YouTube etc (YouTube already has a HTML5 video api).

jasmeencress, Nov 15, 2014 IP