1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Comparison between SMF and phpbb

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by mixhungama, May 21, 2011.

I have used phpbb and I also liked its features but when I saw SMF and its features, I felt that it is better to use SMF than phpbb. I like vbulletin but I don't have enough money to buy it. I have not used SMF so far, so I am asking here for the suggestion of the users who use SMF.

How do you compare SMF and phpbb, which one is better?

mixhungama, May 21, 2011 IP
  2. mnmani

mnmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SMF is best if one has no experience with the html & php. if you need a lot of customizations
    / modifications then phpBB is best provided that you have some good knowledge in the coding

personally I prefer myBB as it is almost similar to vBulletin :)

mnmani, May 22, 2011 IP
  3. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried both and prefer Simple machines a little more than PHPBB, mainly because phpbb attracts more spam and it has less flexibility on mod installation.
    But handsdown vBulletin is my all time fav.

cheers
    Josh

joshuthomas, May 22, 2011 IP
  4. mixhungama

mixhungama Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have just said that I wanted to say exactly.

I was irritated because of spam in phpbb and the mod installation was quite irritating as well.

mixhungama, May 24, 2011 IP
  5. Guisbar

Guisbar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer phpBB because it has a very large community of users & developers who can provide support, it has a less restrictive license (GPL).

Also, with phpBB you can get "pre-modded" versions of the board (I've also seen a couple mods that include pre-modified files) which appear to be prohibited by the SMF license.

If you're looking for an easy installation, might I point out that surpass also has a phpBB installer in cPanel.

Guisbar, May 24, 2011 IP
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'd go with phpbb as well for the modding community.
    I really like phpbbhacks, so that may be why :)

Brandon Sheley, May 24, 2011 IP
  7. mixhungama

mixhungama Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I also like phpbb but it is irritating to do modification in the files. I have also used pre-modified files to save time but I needed to make changes in those files as per my requirements. When there is an upgrade available of phpbb version then I will have to do same process again n again to modify those files which is very irritating (specially when you don't use default phpbb theme).

1 feature which I really feel is missing in phpbb is TOPIC POST FORMAT, which is not user friendly (e.g. when you use vbulletin and SMF, bold-italic-underline-change font-alignment etc)

mixhungama, May 24, 2011 IP
  8. smsinhindi

smsinhindi Peon

Best Answers:
    But which one of SMF or phpBB is good for people having little knowledge of php/html ?

smsinhindi, Jun 22, 2011 IP
  9. Wad!e

Wad!e Member

Best Answers:
    You can upload AutoMOD. that way you won't need to edit a single thing in your code cause it will be done automatically.

I would say phpBB. it's easy enough and has a great support team..

Wad!e, Jul 3, 2011 IP
  10. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I had a choice between these I'd use PHPBB but I moved from phpbb and VB to MyBB and I'm extremely happy. I have a top 3k Alexa site now on MyBB and it runs very well with almost 12 million posts (30k posts daily).

I'd say MyBB is more advanced than SMF and PHPBB and similar in presentation and features as VB 3 series which was in many admins view their best version.

RectangleMan, Jul 17, 2011 IP
  11. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to my experiance phpbb is not better that SMF because SMF is the best in this the process of modifing is easy i have more knowledge in HTML and CSS but this is the best of all i never had any problem with SMF

unknownpray, Jul 25, 2011 IP
  12. AR7'

AR7' Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go for SMF, it's much more simple to use and as unknownpray said modifying is easy all together. It's a simple software to use and has lots of features and good themes etc.

AR7', Jul 25, 2011 IP