1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Communication Skills?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hsaleem, Jun 1, 2007.

Do you agree that your communication/interaction skills are effected badly having been seated in front of computers for so long and spending a quiet life?

Have you observed any change in your social life while being on computers?

I am looking forward to hear from you guys...

hsaleem, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I do believe that social skills are definitely lacking these days with people being so glued to their chairs and on their PC's.

Although I do work some intensive hours on any giving day/days, any chance I get to get away from the PC, I take it. Like for example, when you call me on the phone :)

an0n, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  3. coolweb

coolweb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes definitely it kills the communication skills, virtual world is not effective in every aspect. There is need to interact with real people, so that talking and communicating skills can be developed, without real communications it lowers down the confidence.

Talking with customers/clients/friends over the mic, voice chat that is better than typing messages with keyboard in a chat window.

coolweb, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  4. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually think that my communication skills are getting better. Maybe it is because I handle around 50 phone calls per day :)

But online conversations also help you improve your skills, at least you learn how to spell :)

p.l.u.r.

Angelus, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  5. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not really.... i don't sacrifice my social life for the internet. The times i spend on the net are usually at the wee hours of the morning, after hanging out with friends and doing other stuff

If anything, its improved in the sense of how i relate to different types of ppl from all over the world.

jl255, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  6. ascend

ascend Banned

Best Answers:
    Definitely... communication can be enhance by talking to real people... and you can't do that by sitting all day infront of your pc...

ascend, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  7. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Its two sides of the coins. I have in a lot of ways improved. But in someways my communication has become bad... I tend to use brb while talking ttyl... etc but then I have now got a control over it.

But its improved me better, I can handle clients well now, email communication has improved my drafting style, a lot of phone calls have given me the right accent and lots more.

Its really depends on an individual I can say. ;)

humm, Jun 1, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  8. Kutub Utara

Kutub Utara Banned

Best Answers:
    I guess it really depends on whether the person has people skills in the first place or not.

Kutub Utara, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  9. worldwide

worldwide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will agree little bit on this .… some how it kills the interaction skill but not entirely as I find my writing skill has been improved much more than earlier and certainly it gives confidence to me. As what I write, is what I speak.

About social life, NO Doubt it has changed my social life entirely. And because of it now I am able to understand the importance of family, friends and relatives or can say society.

worldwide, Jun 1, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  10. evoamy

evoamy Guest

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that the longer i spend on computers the more time i want to stay in the house and spend my time on it. In fact i would love a job working from home and it being net based. anybody got any ideas? lol

evoamy, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  11. samusexu

samusexu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be sincere I've observed that people who tend to stay a lot in front of the computer are kind of difficult in other way of talking than online messaging. I mean they have no body language, or don't look you in the eyes when talking to you...

samusexu, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  12. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i go to school 6 hours a day and generally spend time with friends for 4-5 hours on weekends so i dont think this has affected my social skills at all

mitcharr, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  13. samlocalguy

samlocalguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its effect to me....not much but...

samlocalguy, Jun 1, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  14. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps communication skills can be affected. But only if you let it happen to you.

--Joe

jdR!pper, Jun 1, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  15. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    however, i have noticed that chatting online is much easier to be misunderstood and offended than in person as u cannot fully appreciate the tone that the person is saying via text messages.....

jl255, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  16. seospider

seospider Peon

Best Answers:
    mmm I think yes its affecting. But that does not mean we go down. Because on the other hand we are developing a larger circle ;)

seospider, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  17. samusexu

samusexu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jl255 you are right, I had some issues sometimes exactly like these, text messages can be misinterpreted, given that the person reading them has some state of mind. And in general it only gets worse.

samusexu, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  18. Disguised

Disguised Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed! I too think that my communication skills and social life is getting better and better day by day. I was not that much social before. I'm feeling way too many changes in myself (My social life is getting stronger than ever). So I won't agree that sitting on computer whole day effects (Negatively) communication skills.

Disguised, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  19. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It works both ways. If you are already an introvert, you won't be improving your communication skills by sitting infront of your PC.

On the other hand, if you are already good with words, then you needn't worry.

RovingCalypso, Jun 1, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  20. Vadym

Vadym Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I haven't had a girlfriend since last January, but that's mainly from a lack of time to spend with one... I don't think webmastering has affected me in anyway. I plan on a girlfriend for the summer, since I'll have time. Call me cold-hearted, but I think of a spouse as someone you can temporarily keep, at least for the time being that I'm in highschool.

Vadym, Jun 2, 2007 IP