1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Common misconceptions about DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jimnoble, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SpringCypress

SpringCypress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can just speak for myself but I find it funny that if DMOZ is irrelevant and has been for several years that there would be this much discussion on it.

I also take a little offense at some of the broad statements that have been thrown at the editors.
    I edit a few small categories. Roughly twice a month I check every link in my categories. I care about content. I don't care about SEO. If you're looking for information about something that's in one of my categories you can be assured that you will find relevant information from my category MUCH faster than you will if you try to google it up. I also review every single site that is submitted to one of my categories within 4 weeks of submission. On average I approve roughly 1 out of 10. The vast majority of the ones I don't accept are content scrapers or don't offer information in a way such that it is better presented than a site that is currently listed. Far from being lazy I would consider myself to be incredibly thorough.

If you think DMOZ is irrelevant than don't try and get listed. If you think it is and are upset about the backlog then volunteer.

SpringCypress, Apr 29, 2012 IP
  2. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the old days, many websites use data feed from dmoz, a listing in dmoz could get you many links, but nowadays it's only a directory link.

hurricane_sh, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  3. quiz

quiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Got approved ones with one of my old domains but it was only because i was able to get in touch with the volunteer. Otherwise i don't think i would have been accepted already.

quiz, May 10, 2012 IP
  4. LogoSafari

LogoSafari Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm finally in DMOZ and haven't noticed any change in my site traffic. But I have learned the age of domain and good quality relevant backlinks are very important to build. It's also good to get listed in directories. Takes time and a lot of work.

LogoSafari, May 13, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How long ago did you hear these things?

Google has stopped giving importance to directories...

Qryztufre, May 13, 2012 IP
  6. LogoSafari

LogoSafari Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it's been awhile and I'm not up to speed! Never mind about directories then!

LogoSafari, May 13, 2012 IP
  7. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love tripe!!

Prove anything I said untrue with metrics/numbers etc otherwise your classification of my tripe is tripe!

joeventura, Nov 7, 2012 IP