1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Comments please!

Discussion in 'Websites' started by remember, Sep 14, 2004.

I am developing a nostalgia website at the moment dedicated to everything from the 70s, 80s and 90s (though it does have a definite 80s bias).

http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Visitors can share their own memories of the things they remember and I got a whole load of good ideas for future features but am still trying to get a good user base established first.

I am trying to make money out of the EBay thingummy and selling advertising to independent advertisers but I'd value your opinions on how to maximise my revenue from this site.

remember, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very cool. I'm going to bookmark this site and return often. I think the design is great and you got me hooked because I had one of those six wheel programmable vehicles that's pictured in the toys link.......... (reliving my childhood)

mopacfan, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  3. remember

remember Active Member

Best Answers:
  4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love it, man those were the days. Not a care in the world and so much flammable plastic....

NewComputer, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    What a great idea. I love this kind of stuff.

ResaleBroker, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  6. remember

remember Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK I really appreciate the positive feedback but anyone got any good ideas about how I can maximise my revenue from this?

7. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, what a trip down memory lane. That was it allright.

Here's two for you:

1. I got this toy for christmas one year back in the middle to late '70's. It was a police car chase set that had a blue track that was shaped like a cloverleaf interchange. There were little 'gates' you could move to control the direction of the cars (which were battery operated) and the goal was to try to get the police car to 'catch' the 'bad guy'.

2. I'll have to do some checking to find the name of the manufacturer. It's a working replica of a garbage truck. It's battery operated and it works just like a real truck. You put 'trash' (small bits of wadded up paper) in the recepticle and then move the switch up. The scoop comes down and scoops the 'trash' into the body of the truck while two red lights in the rear blink on and off. You can then open the rear hatch and the motor then moves the wall inside to push out the trash.

These are two toys I've never seen since and never seen any reference to anywhere. I'd love to know more about where they came from and how long they were produced.

8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Revenue eh, I really like the tie in with ebay. I went and looked at the big trax. I couldn't believe how inexpensive they were. Didn't buy tho cuz I don't need the clutter. I think a combination of adsense and the ebay tie in will work well. The key will be to get your site viewed heavily. To that end, I think you'll find that you will have very few US visitors because of the domain name and the prominant display the .UK tld at the top of the page. I just think that it will not be conducive to enticing the US visitor to do more than look and then leave. Get the .com domain name and make a US version.

9. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    You have some space for banner ads, space for button ads, skyscrapers, plenty of potential for pop-ups, though who/what you could banner with I don't know. And you could offshore it to somewhere they don't have to afford such huge mortgages...

That's the straight answer.

Other than that the site's great already - do you really want to 'sell out' and for how much? Will a heavy commercial aspect kill off the ambience?

Just my thoughts :D

Lever, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  10. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    OK, mopacfan's inspired me ;) What about a 'will you remember' section for new toys and sell them in that channel?

Lever, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  11. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Absoluetly, I'm sure there are a lot more grown up kids like me that wax nostalgic for the old toys and don't remember who made them or what they were called. Some kind of forum would be a good tie in to help generate traffic.

12. remember

remember Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of my visitors are actually from the US but I hear what you're saying. I tried to get the .com but the guy who has it won't sell. Does the TLD really put US visitors off?

And I'm trying to keep the commercialness (is that a word?) to a visible minimum but the thing is I actually NEED to make money out of this baby.

Is Adsense the right thing to compliment eBay here? I wasn't sure whether I'd be better off on a CPM ad scheme - what do you reckon?

13. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I really do think the UK domain will put off the US crowd. This is just based on my experience with managing the US and UK sites for the company I work for. I think it mostly has to do with the difference between US and UK English. It really is quite different.

I think a well designed adsense configuration would be a good compliment.

Good luck on the domain name. That could be a tough one.

14. dhruv

dhruv Peon

Best Answers:
    nice desing. Can't say much about the content, coz I was born in 1990

dhruv, Sep 15, 2004 IP