1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Comments And Suggestions

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by highlow, Feb 10, 2013.

What should i do? I have a new forum and the members are starting posting but in the comments and suggestions thread, they are asking for PM but i dont like the idea and some others are requesting for other features. People are so demanding that they almost dictating me how to run the forum. Do i need to unpublish the comments and suggestions or just lock it? I already explained before why some features are not available but they started asking again.

highlow, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  2. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mind me asking why you disabled the PM system and other core features? And what features are they requesting?

You can run your forum the way you want. If you don't listen to what your members want, they probably won't stick around. If you give in too much, you have no control. I suggest finding a balance. Remember, you own the forum but your members make it successful or not. Their opinions do matter and you should consider them carefully. Shutting down your feedback forum is a big slap in the face to your members as it sends the message that you don't care what they think. If you need features disabled for certain security reasons or because of your unique forums' needs, then I suggest creating a thread describing in detail why certain features are not available. If anyone creates a thread asking for that feature, simply give them the link to read.

r3dt@rget, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  3. highlow

highlow Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your reply. Maybe i should send them the link of my explainations before that made others understand why i dont have a pm and others are asking for some features on their profiles that will almost make the forum like social networking site.. I dont want to talk to much to them because there are members that so arrogant that act that they are always right and knows a lot. I felt like they are too controlling and im getting anxious that they would create a new forum if i dont follow them. The site is new and only have few members. maybe around 50 but only few are active but you can see that its growing.

highlow, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  4. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well it sounds like they have reasonable requests so why don't you want therm to have features that allow them to interact more?

r3dt@rget, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  5. highlow

highlow Member

Best Answers:
    i only have a small audience and im just using kunena. Im not a programmer. its not worth the effort yet.

highlow, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  6. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if the forum is a majority of the website I would consider switching to a full featured forum instead of a plugin inside of Joomla.

r3dt@rget, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  7. highlow

highlow Member

Best Answers:
    The content of the site is only the forum. why should i switch to full featured forum? i thought using joomla is an advantage because i can develop the forum in the future into a site with a lot of features.

highlow, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  8. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well which do you want??? If you created a forum to be a forum, then make it a forum. Don't use a CMS with a half-ass forum attached. Your users are trying to tell you they want a real forum platform with a full set of forum features. Whats the URL of your site? I could probably tell you a lot more by just taking a peek at it.

r3dt@rget, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  9. highlow

highlow Member

Best Answers:
    is there something wrong with kunena? i chose it because its free... i dont have a budget yet to pay for something like vbulletin. I think a forum that has too much features will just confuse the members. As much as possible i just want them to focus on a single topic or place in the forum so they will feel the presence of each other. But im planning to ad more features in the future but not now. Im very thankful with your reply.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    highlow, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  10. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    phpBB, myBB, Vanilla, SMF; These are all free forum platforms that are simple and easy to use. Plus they have all the features your members want.

r3dt@rget, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  11. highlow

highlow Member

Best Answers:
    what forum platform do you use? May i see your forum?

highlow, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  12. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I use Simple Machines forum at LostConsoles.com, and Vanilla at BMETForum.com. I like both very much. Vanilla is very simple. It's an extremely basic forum with minimal features and addons. Of course, there are plugins you can add from the community that add features, etc. SMF is pretty good. I prefer it over phpBB. I have never used myBB but it is popular as well.

r3dt@rget, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  13. Alex210

Alex210 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should use a real forum, and if now you cannot go for vB, IPB or xF, you can use phpBB or MyBB. Both are free and full featured. Kunena and other cms forum plugins are good if you want to offer some kind of support forum for the people visiting your website, and nothing more than this.

Alex210, Feb 14, 2013 IP