1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Commenting as a marketing tool

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by justtara, Apr 30, 2005.

Has anybody else had any experience with commenting in other blogs as a marking tool? I began using http://www.technorati.com/ to search for posts which have similar content to my blog. I honestly just started doing it out of pure interest. Then it got me thinking about how successfull I was years ago when I used to sign people guestbooks. I am by no means spamming these blogs but honestly showing an interest in their blogs and "leaving my mark".

justtara, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  2. oalhajjar

oalhajjar Guest

Best Answers:
    Tara as an active blogger I think that comments can be used as marketing tools. But you walk a fine line between spam and marketing.

There's nothing wrong with commenting on a post and continuing the web conversation a blogger has started. There is a place for you to insert your URL on some comments and that is the appropriate place to do it.

However it becomes spam when you post a comment for the sake of a backlink and not when you're adding something of value.

Fine line.

oalhajjar, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    There are automated scripts that spam comments.

If you are using a comment on someone's blog just to drop a link, it's spam, but I guess if you have added a little value to the blog by way of saying something intelligent, then it is fair game.

mcfox, May 1, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    There is a fine line to walk. If you get reported to MTBlacklist as a spammer then you pretty much just killed an effective backlink building strategy. Occasionally I do leave a one liner, but I try not to comment on blogs unless I actually have something good to say. Usually it inspires a little bit of traffic. Nothing huge, but between one and 10 click throughs.

nevetS, May 1, 2005 IP