1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

cometchat forums and server load questions

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Lee G, Apr 13, 2010.

First off I hope this is in the right section here

Has anyone had any experience of the cometchat forum add on?

Server load from using it etc

Bring more members in or turn people off

And hopefully some feedback from people who have run it on vbulletin forums

I would rather ask here and get honest opinions rather than on their site and get the normal sales flannel you expect from a developer. Its not cheap for what it is imo either.

Its a pity that some of their areas are paid customer only, which is normally a place i would start any research on something like this

Thanks in advance for any feedback or views
    Lee

Lee G, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  2. ramisz

ramisz Peon

Best Answers:
    i use cometchat on my forum website (vb) and have no problem with the serverload.

ramisz, May 8, 2010 IP
  3. Sunflyer

Sunflyer Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a pretty large forum and I used to have cometchat which did not work. It caused way to much server load and I had big problems until I found out the cause

Sunflyer, May 10, 2010 IP
  4. jmpf

jmpf Peon

Best Answers:
    we actively use cometchat on one of our sites -- it works but you'll want to dedicate a whole mysql server instance to it -- basically don't put it with any other databases as it uses polling on the sql server which is pretty stupid... also, there are several security holes I have found in the software which allow unscrupulous users to do some very nasty things -- so why are we still using it? it's cheaper than rolling out something else (time wise) -- if you want real chat you should use websockets with redis or something

jmpf, May 13, 2010 IP
  5. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    chat feature could tax your server. i don't advise installing chat in a forum site since it defeats the purpose of having an interactive community where people can post their thoughts. let your forum members post topics in threads, not in chats.

Bohol, May 18, 2010 IP