1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.com vs .net

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Webinx, Jan 22, 2012.

Hey guys,

I am stuck. I am going to build a unique site and I had thought of a name for it. However, the .com of the name is taken but the .net is still available. The domain is a 5-letter one and it's really a brandable one. But what I want to know, should I buy the .net or find another .com? I contacted the .com owner and he wants $50, 000 ROFL. Honestly the domain as is is not worth more than $150. Well, I can't buy the .com obviously.

You think I will get as much traffic with the .net as the .com would have got?

Let me know
    Thanks.

100th POST :D

Webinx, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  2. pakhackerz

pakhackerz Banned

Best Answers:
    i thing not any different .com for commercial and .net for network .com costly and .net cheap

pakhackerz, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  3. secretagentdad

secretagentdad Peon

Best Answers:
    .com is rapidly losing its search engine advantages.
    The only real reason to pay the premium is for branding purposes.

secretagentdad, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  4. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    actually, .net is an alternative to .com, if it's unique, it won't affect the SEO

IG2010, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  5. welkin

welkin Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you really like the .net name that is still free, go with it. I don't think it's so important for search engine traffic. But have in mind that if your site become popular, the guy with the .com version could get some of the traffic intended for your site.
    Also you can still try to find a similar .com name if you're not in a hurry.

welkin, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  6. Maggots666

Maggots666 Peon

Best Answers:
    just take it if it still available for .net

Maggots666, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  7. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    Woke up today to buy .net one and what do I see, the .com of the domain bought the .net .org and .info. :mad: Well I sent him a message I am buying the .co and .us . He will try to buy them before me, exactly what I want. He will waste his money on that while i grab a new domain. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    Webinx, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  8. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if the .net is already taken too, I would go with a longer .com.

andrej, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  9. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I guess I will get another .com. The guy will surely realise noone wants it and drop it in a year lol. Then I will just grab it :)

Webinx, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  10. ericanoy

ericanoy Peon

Best Answers:
    just take it if it still available for .net,it is commercial too.....

ericanoy, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  11. BradAllen

BradAllen Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not register the .net for a couple reason. 1. you don't want your site to be confused with the .com site. 2. most people only look for .com websites, it is by far the most widely used extension. I know it's hard when you have the "perfect" name picked out but I would suggest looking for a different name. It sounds like that's the way you might go anyway.

BradAllen, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  12. nicelife

nicelife Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm I had a bad experience with a hosting service, I registered my .com with them but a "hacker" stole all their info. When I contacted this guy, he wanted $1000 dollars... Yeah, sure!... So I had to register my website of 3k users with another name :( , a .net... they didn't care. Users love activity and useful content, keep them updated and It wont make a difference,. One year later, the guy dropped the .com so I got it back :) for $9 bucks, not the $1000 that he wanted, I still have both domain, with a better hosting.

If you're sure that you'll have a very good website with that .com, that is going to be a profitable success for itself, go ahead, buy it, but if you are not sure about the website then just go ahead with the .net and don't worry too much.

nicelife, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  13. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    nicelife both are gone, my mistake was to contact the .com owner. He had the .com only. I was about to get the .net when I saw he registered it as well as the .info and .org. Well, I will find another .com which is better :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Webinx, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  14. WebCare||360

WebCare||360 Member

Best Answers:
    .com always has clear advantage over all other TLD's.

WebCare||360, Jan 24, 2012 IP
  15. clickbump

clickbump Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I just launched a new business project on a .net. I have several .net sites. SEO is fine with either. As a matter of fact, my best performing web property was a .net. It was a tiny little 1 page website that did $100 a day for a little over a year during the height of the product craze it was built to promote.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    clickbump, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  16. Jim85

Jim85 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic wise it shouldn't make a difference but for brand recognition ect .com is better

Jim85, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  17. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    .net is a good choice when you can't get the .com I think that most people know if they don't see the .com for the site they are looking for they will try the .net. While .com might have more instant recognition if you build your brand name well then it won't be long before users know which extension you are using.

JPC-Sabrina, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  18. ServerDealsDominic

ServerDealsDominic Active Member

Best Answers:
    .Net vs .Com. These days I don't feel there is much of a difference. Sure the older generation were probably use to the .com era, but the newer generations understand that sites come in all different domain types now. The only benefit that comes in to play with .net vs .com nowadays is maybe grabbing up all the different domain endings for your brand and placing redirects. Other then that I'd say go for the .net for now and if you do turn a large enough profit in the future then you can get the .com. We started with a .net and have made a large purchase for .com after 4 years of being in business, just to have it.

Go for the .net and save the money.

ServerDealsDominic, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  19. dess71

dess71 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The .com seems to have a priority than .net but I have seen several .net websites ranking quite well .

dess71, Jul 8, 2015 IP
  20. SalvadorWilliam

SalvadorWilliam Peon

Best Answers:
    The most preferred extension by folks and google too is .com, it is the most trusted extension among all. And the .com extension the best choice for the offline advertisement also.

SalvadorWilliam, Jul 24, 2015 IP