1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.com prices could rise 7% a year

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by hammurabbi, Jan 30, 2006.

1. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Lol - I hope you have a better reason then the single moms trying to put food on the table won't be able to afford a .com

That cracks me up

yfs1, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  2. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are thousands of registered domain names just parked without any useful contribution. Very very frustrating I would recommend to increase the price to 100% . Why not??

maldives, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    But single mothers own those...You want to take food out of the mouth of babies :confused:

yfs1, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  4. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mothers can find another way to feed their babies ;) . There are thousands of men ready to help single mothers in this case :D

maldives, Feb 1, 2006 IP
    yfs1 and Mia like this.
  5. hammurabbi

hammurabbi Peon

Best Answers:
    I notice that none of you, on either side of the argument, have told ICANN how you feel. Bear in mind that ICANN accepts comments on either side of the argument.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/revised-settlement/
    mailto:revised-settlement@icann.org

If you want to pay more for your .com domain names, tell them. They really want to know. That's what they're there for.

If you don't want to pay more, tell them that too. If you don't tell them, you have no excuse.

hammurabbi, Feb 1, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  6. WebWriter

WebWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am glad you find that funny.

I always thought I was a comedienne but no one else ever agreed.

WebWriter, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  7. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that domain prices should go up. Even if they go up by a bit say to $30/year that will make the kiddies think twice before pointlessly regging domains.

Playing devil's advocate here, why do people care so much about domains. I mean isn't marketing suppose to bring your success. Take google for example, the word "google" doesn't mean anything to the ordinary person, but look how popular they've become. It is not neccessary to own cars.com in order to have a succesful automotive site for example.

Googles76, Feb 1, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  8. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%
    I'm sick of trying to find a dot com domain and end up going with a .net or worse just because every possible.com is taken by people trying to get rich.

I was on sedo the other day and tried to buy "www.for.us". LMAO, the fucking guy comes back with a price of $350,000. So obviously I replied and said "is this a joke?" and his reply was "No, I have already been offered this amount before for the domain."

Gimmie a break, for $350k I could get for.com

ly2, Feb 1, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  9. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just sent my suggestion in! I told them they need to raise the fee to $100.00+ to combat domain squatters.

I feel better now, like I have done something worthwhile instead of just complaining.

ly2, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  10. i30

i30 Guest

Best Answers:
    The thing is moms and other people shouldn't need to reg 500 domains, and if $50 a year is too much for them, then they can get a myspace page for their friggin pet or something.

Now as far as things like churches and stuff, there should be a special extension where you can get the domain for free if you prove you are with such an organization.

i30, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  11. hammurabbi

hammurabbi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yay! Give em hell!

:)

hammurabbi, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  12. DomainWorks

DomainWorks Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if VeriSign can raise its prices, that doesn't mean the cost to the consumer will increase.

VeriSign controls the prices at which it wholesales names to registrars. The registrars and hosting companies then decide how much to charge the public. I think the current rate is $6 or $6.49 a name. Yet many major registrars and hosting companies are selling names at $1.99 to $4.95 a name. How do they do this? Simple. They take a loss on every name, and consider it a marketing cost. It's usually cheaper than advertising on search engines (which can cost $5 per click in some cases), and the cost is only invoked when someone actually buys something.

Domains are the on-ramp to a larger universe of services. It's how the big boys acquire customers, and I doubt they'll raise prices much, at least until the yearly 7 percent VeriSign hikes start to add up.

DomainWorks, Feb 3, 2006 IP
    Mia and cpmx like this.
  13. hammurabbi

hammurabbi Peon

Best Answers:
    This guy knows what he's talking about.

hammurabbi, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  14. Cutter

Cutter Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is that they can't raise the prices too much or else it will drop their revenue, not increase it.

The way it works now, speculators bulk register thousands of domain names, and then they drop the ones that don't at least break even on PPC revenue to pay the hosting fee. Some of these guys are actually acredited registrars and if they drop the domains within a certain period, they don't have to even pay for them.

If the fee was raised even a few dollars, the number of dropped domains would increase dramaticly. The truth is, the massive speculation market was the result of domains becoming so cheap. I fully expect the really good domains to be taken up, but I've had to get really creative when I didn't want to pay a premium.

Cutter, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  15. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Man, this is nothing. I remember back in the days of the mid and late 90's domain registration was 35 bucks ($35) everywhere..

But hey, this is a good chance to put many years of registration onto the domains you currently have before they raise the price!!! ;)

EGS, Feb 7, 2006 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Actually it was $70. It was $35 with a minimum two year registration on new registrations. Ah, the InterNIC days...

Mia, Feb 7, 2006 IP
    yfs1 likes this.