1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Colour palettes and their usage

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by FoxIX, Jan 16, 2016.

I'm not the greatest designer in the world (and that can be considered an understatement), but I have learnt a lot about the theory. But one thing I have always had trouble with is which colours in a chosen palette should be used in what quantity.

For example, on http://www.textureonline.com/ they have a palette called Decaffeinated. I can understand why the colours go together (I can create simple palettes myself), but what I have trouble with is which colours should be used for what purpose.

Whenever I try, it looks daft. Do I use the dark colours for borders and the light colours for large areas? Or should they be used for specific areas on the page? Is there a basic theory that I can work from? I've looked at well designed websites over and over but still unable to put those ideas into practise with different colours.

Solved! View solution.
    FoxIX, Jan 16, 2016 IP
    And that's where your artistic juices should start flowing. I don't think there is a diagram (schematics) that will work in every situation, at all times. And if there is, it's probably made for a beginner designer (general do's and don'ts) which you're way past.

qwikad.com, Jan 17, 2016 IP
  3. FoxIX

FoxIX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess there was a part of me that knew there wouldn't be anything, but it's always best to ask. I shall keep trying and see how I get on.

FoxIX, Jan 17, 2016 IP
  4. R. Martin

R. Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    You can read Google Design Guidelines or use Adobe Kuler, which is a great tool to designing cool color palettes. However, there are not any strict guideline to create your own scheme, it's mostly art and intuition.

R. Martin, Jan 30, 2016 IP
  5. FoxIX

FoxIX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I'll look into that Adobe Kuler. Might help with my design faux pas :D

FoxIX, Jan 30, 2016 IP
  6. Maria Watson

Maria Watson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you can use Paletton or Colors co to design color palettes.

Maria Watson, Sep 29, 2016 IP