1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

colors look great on my monitor

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by madmn, Feb 13, 2006.

I have just designed a site and the colors look right on my monitor, however on a few of my freinds monitors the color looks black instead of dark green. The color I am talking about is a dark green but it isnt that close to black. I understand that different colors look different on different computors.

My question is this:

What percentage of people have monitors that would show the color right and what percentage of people have monitors that would show it blk.

Any ball park estimates, guesses, etc would be appreciated.

Thank You

madmn, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It seems that most people I know that are just on the computer for the internet and e-mail have dark settings. I even had a competitor (don't remember who anymore) that had lightened all of the images of products so much it was pretty washed out and I am assuming their monitor was extrememly dark for those images to even look descent. LOL

I would say a pretty big piece of the market has dark setting but more and more will have better settings with newer monitors and computers.

so my advice is find a middle ground for your site if need be, just as long as it looks professional and works for you.

debunked, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  3. madmn

madmn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank You for your input. It was very helpful.:)

madmn, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  4. Kat2

Kat2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have also noticed that colors can look very different on LCD monitors vs. CRT monitors.

Kat2, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  5. nOR

nOR Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless everyone got their monitor's calibrated the same, there will always be a difference in color tone (obviously unnoticable in most cases).

The best way in creating your site is to do exactly what you did, ask your buddies how it looks on their screen. When I use to only have a laptop, I did all my photoshop work on it and it looked great. But when I checked my stuff from work, the colors didnt look the same at all! So I meddled with things until I found a fair balance.

nOR, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  6. madmn

madmn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since I posted this thread I have learned alot. For one, no one at the major electronics store knows about the monitor differences. Two, there is a major difference between types of monitors. It seems like there are two major types, one that shows darker palets and one that shows what I call true color. I would not want to design art that is going into print or even the web for that matter with the darker type. I recently purchased what I was told was the best monitor in the electronics store ($700.00). When I got it home I found that colorwise it paled in comparison to my outdated Trinitron Monitor. In fact everything that I created on the new monitor looked terrible when I checked it with my old Trinitron. But I am capable of creating work that looks good on both types of monitors with my Trinitron monitor. My monitor, however is slitly damaged and I am thinking about replacing it. I would like to find out the correct way of reffering to the difference of monitors to explain it to the salesman at the electronic store.

madmn, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  7. ramakrishna p

ramakrishna p Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What are the global monitor settings? My graphics looks little bit longer than its original size. The same graphics looks alright on my office mechine. I suspect colors too. Can anyone suggest some quick monitor settings for correct viewing? My monitor is a CRT.

ramakrishna p, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    debunked, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  9. ramakrishna p

ramakrishna p Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ramakrishna p, Feb 20, 2006 IP