1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Collage problem - Smart Object VS Transform degradation

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Mark Palmos, Jun 29, 2017.

Hello all,

I am trying to make a collage of about 15 images on an A3 sized sheet. Many of the images will need to be resized, cropped, and sometimes masked with gradient transparencies... sounds easy but...

I dragged the pix to the A3 Photoshop document, and each had to be double clicked as each gets placed with the transform tool active. Odd, but ok.
    The problem is I found I could not select an area of any photos to delete the rest, it said Smart Objects are not directly editable. (also odd)
    So I read up about importing images in a Stack, and they arrive as layers instead of Smart Objects. These can be transformed and cropped, masked and everything I need, BUT transforming them down apparently resamples them for some reason, so you loose a lot of quality.

So what to do? It seems this very basic need is actually fraught with gotchas... caught between a rock and a hard place... or is there a third way of doing this simple collage?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Mark Palmos, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  2. expertimageclipping

expertimageclipping Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, Try to pixalete that picture again from clicking the right mouse button. Thank you

expertimageclipping, Jul 1, 2017 IP
  3. Mark Palmos

Mark Palmos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the solution is to rasterise the layer before reducing it's size... then if you make it bigger again, it maintains the original quality, but if you reduce size, then rasterise, then enlarging will result in pixellation.

Mark Palmos, Jul 1, 2017 IP