1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

codename "Charlie" Yahoo ranking shift (Yahoo Sandbox)

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by SEOGuru, Jun 15, 2005.

1. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been seeing two completly different sets of results for Yahoo! for a real long time now...

This has been a long time coming, although I couldn't tell you exactly what is happening.

Meh... :rolleyes:

SEbasic, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  2. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen the same thing also... been going on for at least a couple months... 1 set of results on day, another the next... very odd.

toddieg, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  3. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seem like that's what's happening..

The Co-Op experimental "Charity" site was knocked out of Yahoo a few days ago. Shawn pointed about 10,000 weight to it. Would this site disappear from Yahoo otherwise?

maha, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  4. West_of_Willamette

West_of_Willamette Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen things in the Yahoo SERPS that tend to agree with the analysis presented. It would seem that the transfer of content to older, more established sites would be the best defense, correct? Or, would the new pages on the established sites be placed in a "page specific" sandbox?

West_of_Willamette, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  5. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    This tread is smelling fishy.

Yahoo spider has hicupps, it drops sites sometimes for no reason ( have happened to me).

Why blame everything on the coop? Maybe the site was down when the Y! spider went to visit? Duplicate content penalty? Maybe yahoo increased the on page factors and links count less?

Any SE with half a brain will know if they ban they would have to ban or penalize the sites running the ads not the sites that the links point to.

kalius, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  6. West_of_Willamette

West_of_Willamette Peon

Best Answers:
    My main affected site affected recently in Yahoo doesn't have the Coop, Adsense, or Affiliate content. It is an old domain, but has only built links within the past year. My oldest sites with the longest history of link-building are doing extremely well in Yahoo...most of my newest content isn't performing at all.

West_of_Willamette, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  7. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if I agree. Can you explain why the "Charity" experimental site dropped out of Yahoo then? It obviously did not have any "ads" running on it. It was a perfectly "innocent" site before we pointed 10,000 co-op weight to it.

maha, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  8. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    Lack of content on page?

Yahoo is known to like text on page, as I said before maybe on page factors.

Keyword density maybe?

kalius, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  9. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess we're all guessing at this point. Nobody really knows for sure.

maha, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  10. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic from yahoo is negligible, that's the problem. Yahoo isn't a search engine, its a portal. No high brain SEO is going to spend their time on working out yahoo, to the tune of 5% of clicks that the same word on google would generate. Its not a profitable investment.

lorien1973, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You are absolutely wrong. Yahoo can send huge traffic to your site.

fryman, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  12. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I was making $200 - $500 a day of my yahoo visitors alone. The charity site, may have been nowwhere in yahoo when it started, so theorectially it may have just gone back to where it was.

I got some some extra wieght does anyone want to to pitch in and try to assasinate a site.

anncoulter.org seems availible, only one one way to be sure

ferret77, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  13. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo is the #2 SE behind Google (MSN is #3). It use to be bring me 20% of my traffic, which is significant.

maha, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well... seems that "SEOGuru" just posted all this BS and never came back to explain. The thing that I found interesting was the codename he invented. "charlie", give me a break, is that the name of your dog or something like that? :D

fryman, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  15. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, you'd drop from yahoo.. but you would be raking in hundreds from adsense when you hit the top for huge terms in Google :) Co-op still rocks!

spdude, Jun 16, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  16. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its a case of spending too much time at WMW...

kalius, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  17. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you're all silly to think this is

a) a co-op filter
    b) an affiliate filter
    c) an adsense filter

It's not. Just because some of those sites have dropped doesn't mean they ALL did. It Doesn't mean they're the ONLY ones that did.

I called it out a long time ago, after you search for a specific term multiple times in Yahoo, they start switching all the results around when you search again. You can easily see that by searching on one machine, and then trying a completely seperate one. The results are different.

I have both old , middle-aged and brand new sites all ranking well in Yahoo (for several million results) and haven't been affected at all or just a little by this update, and they all have affiliate content or adsense.

yo-yo, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  18. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I would like to see tested - I don't think I would. It would be an interesting test if someone with a lot of weight picked a #1 Yahoo and tried and knock it out by throwing coop weight at it.

Try and knock CNET out of #1 for "computer".

(although with Yahoo CNET may be #1 tomorrow for computer anyway :rolleyes: )

I dare you ;)

GuyFromChicago, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  19. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You do have a point, GuyFromChicago. Blaming this on the coop is just ridiculous. Spdude, why don't you open an auction site and point your weight to ebay and get it dropped? No, wait, better open book store and get Amazon dropped.

fryman, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  20. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Examples of Amazon and Ebay aside... if it was done to a site with say 20-80,000 (natural) backlinks in Yahoo, they would probably benefit more from the weight in Google, than would be harmed by loosing rankings in Yahoo (which I still believe would happen in 3 days flat). This is why GuyfromChicago or most everybody would love to be experimented on. Being kicked out of Yahoo is very negligible with top five rankings in Google bringing in tens of thousands daily.

It's not the co-op (so no blame on the co-op)... it's 2,000,000 instant links which will bring a site down under the current Yahoo situation.

spdude, Jun 16, 2005 IP