1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Code to display 'Select' column in an unbound GridView control

Discussion in 'C#' started by hcole, May 17, 2006.

Hi people,

Im working in Visual Web Developer, Using ASP.NET and VB.NET linking to SQL Server 2000. I have an unbound Gridview control on the form which displays the results of an SQL query. All working fine but I want the leftmost column to behave like a hyperlink so that when the user clicks on it, I can pick up the column data and load another page based on the information. The code I have so far is this:

Code to generate the grid:

<asp:GridView ID ="grdListMembers" 
    runat = "Server" 
    AllowSorting=true 
    OnSelectedIndexChanged="grdListMembers_SelectedIndexChanged" 
    style="z-index: 100; left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px"  
    OnSelectedIndexChanging="grdListMembers_SelectedIndexChanging" EnableSortingAndPagingCallbacks="True">
    <HeaderStyle ForeColor="DarkSlateBlue" />
    </asp:GridView>

Code (markup):
    Code to populate the grid:

adpListMembers = New SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter(qryString, ListMembers)
                    Dim dsListMembers As New DataSet
                    adpListMembers.Fill(dsListMembers, "Members")
                    grdListMembers.DataSource = dsListMembers.Tables("Members").DefaultView
                    grdListMembers.DataBind()

Code (markup):
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hcole, May 17, 2006 IP
  2. jfilley

jfilley Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is a hyperlink column, this is assuming the dataset that your grid is bound to contains a MemberID field. Just change that to whatever your field name is that is the parameter you are trying to pass.

<Columns>
    <asp:HyperLinkColumn Text="View Member" DataNavigateUrlField="MemberID" DataNavigateUrlFormatString="/ViewMember.aspx?MemberID={0}"></asp:HyperLinkColumn>
    </Columns>

jfilley, May 19, 2006 IP
  3. hcole

hcole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi jfilley.

I have that working, only problem is, the SQL query I use for the unbound part of the grid includes the membername so membername is now appearing as a hyperlink field and a standard column. If i take membername out of the SQL statement the grid is blank. (Membername is the primary key for the table Im querying)

hcole, May 22, 2006 IP