1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by FFMG, Dec 17, 2005.

Hi,

All my domains are .com but my hosting company has offered me 8 .co.uk, .org.uk or .me.uk, sites for about $3 per year, (for the life of my .com packages).
    SEMrush
    But are they worth the money/effort or should I not bother.
    I know the name is more important, but I don’t want to waste my time if I am not going to get any traffic simply because of the extension.

What do you think? Should I get those sites and use them, or use them as re-direct to my .com domains, (or simply not bother at all).

Thanks

FFMG

FFMG, Dec 17, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have an uk based website? If yes I would buy the .co.uk only, but really won't bring you any extra traffic and in a cost-per-visitor view isn't worth it.

eduardomaio, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    If you are selling to the UK market then the .co.uk is worth getting. If your site is likely to get significant uk traffic then buy the .co.uk. I wouldn't bother about the deal, I'd just buy it and be done - at least you know it's yours and doesn't tie you to your hosting company ;)

mcfox, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  4. FFMG

FFMG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Because I am in the UK I thought I should at least get one site, so I did :).
    (I am still not confident enough to try and start a .org.uk or a .me.uk site).

I am also going to use it as an experiment to see how well ".co.uk" sites are really doing.
    I might post in a few months to give a summary of what happened.

Thanks.

FFMG

FFMG, Dec 17, 2005 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    They do quite well in the uk market. You can get away with a .org.uk but I wouldn't bother with .me.uk

mcfox, Dec 17, 2005 IP