1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Co-op Tips : Increasing Your Weight / Using it Wisely

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by schlottke, Jan 5, 2005.

There are a lot of things you can do to improve your weight in the co-op adnetwork, and I'm going to outline a couple of them here. Mostly for people new to the network or thinking about joining.

Continue improving on PR: If you are currently hosting the ad_network.php in a sub directory with a lower PR than your main page, move it to your base directory. Imagine having a PR5 base, and a PR4 Interior Forum.. If you have over 4500 pages, the link from the main page is going to raise your weight by 20-30%, if you have five ads, even more than that.

Five ads on the site rather than one will substantially increase your weight, and most of the ads are informative anyway, a worthy resource that your visitors may be interested in. (I get close to 100 visits a day from the network- good advertising honestly.)

Fresh Content: Google likes it anyway, its part of your search engine marketing plan; and the smaller sites can really benefit from growing their page count. The difference between 300 pages and 1000 pages is quite a bit of weight, and also has the every day benefit adding more entry ways to your sites products.

Invite Friends and competitors to the network. Don't hide the success- adding members may bring about a little competition, but think of it as a group effort to help everyone's sites do well. The more people you invite the more weight you'll tack on, and the more websites you'll have links spread across.

----------
    Part Two - Using it wisely.
    ----------

Spread the Weight: If you are focusing on a specific category- for example -Baseball Bats. Focus specifically on the Bats themselves with the majority of the weight (probably targetting "Baseball Bat" and "Baseball Bats"), but plug several of your interior products (Rawlings, Easton, TPX) into the account as well. I have had the most success with this method, rather than placing all of the weight on one keyword.

Target realistically: If you have 4,000 weight, don't target "Hosting". Focus on your specific product or specialty item. "osCommerce Hosting", or "Forum Hosting"- possibly even longer keyword phrases.

Obviously this is a co-op adnetwork beginners guide, but hopefully someone finds it useful.

schlottke, Jan 5, 2005 IP
    T0PS3O and eduardomaio like this.
  2. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips always good to hear some suggestions.

crazyhorse, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  3. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have some tips on how to use 100k-150k of weight wisely. Should i go for two single keywords, add some single or two keywords ads a bit later on. Or should i target ten different keywords and spread the weight equally , any ideas on what would be best to do?

crazyhorse, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  4. linkgangster

linkgangster Peon

Best Answers:
    It's true.

I started to distribute the weight to the child pages (not just to the main page alone) using a variety of keywords and sub-keywords.

It seems to me that giving all weights to the main page could raise the red flag. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't done more investigation in this matter yet.

Thanks.

linkgangster, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Crazyhorse: It would really depend on what they keywords were. Personally I'd target the keyword with the most exposure with 30k (or whatever is needed to pull a top 3 spot), and then focus the rest of the weight on related keywords to that page and other sub-pages.

linkgangster: giving excess weight will likely bring up multiple listings from the same domain at this time in the ad network (not enough sites to spread the links across all of them only a couple times) so many of the links will become useless if you spend too much of your weight on any one page/anchor text.

schlottke, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    "weight" as we know it is about to change

Blogmaster, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  7. ZeRo_CoOl

ZeRo_CoOl Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, very cool stuff mate...

ZeRo_CoOl, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  8. rudi

rudi Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a Joke about multiply ads on 1 page!
    I've tried to add more ads and recalculate weight. Nothing changed! Nothing at all!

rudi, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    what advice do the search engines give you ?

10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Nice attitude. I guess you better stay with your one ad then...

T0PS3O, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    duh ... hehe!

12. linkgangster

linkgangster Peon

Best Answers:
    Will G raise the red flag when we put too much weight on the main page using the same anchor text?

Thanks.

13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    No one knows. But if you worry about it, just make a second ad with a spelling variation, a plural or an extra KW in it. They could easily flag it and reduce the power of the links but we don't know whether they do this or not. You're probably already thinking yourself, better safe than sorry. No harm in using variations.

T0PS3O, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  14. linkgangster

linkgangster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I've learnt a lot :)

15. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Is that post meant to be sarcastic?

T0PS3O, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  16. linkgangster

linkgangster Peon

Best Answers:
    No. I really mean it.

17. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    T0PS, easy there tiger. ;) Variations of keywords are a good call, definatly something I suggest when dealing with a lot of weight.

18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Just checking...

T0PS3O, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  19. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not sure whether they have flagged the red flag in my case but at the moment i aint able to get on the first page on Google, for two single keywords. The funny thing is that I was first on MSN , YAHOO but then since last week i dropped to the second page, and now since yesterday i got back on the first page again, still not first but it seems as if there is some penalty of moving up in the serps. :eek:

crazyhorse, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  20. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd imagine if you aren't dropped completely you aren't receiving any penalty from Yahoo! and MSN- they simply haven't picked up all the links yet.