1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS: Mambo, Drupal and SEO

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by e10, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazar

jazar Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP-Nuke is definitely not SEO friendly - regarding drupal, features available are too basic.

Example: Drupal Forum
    a forum is a great SEO tool - but it must be rich in features, and easy to maintain to be able to make the best of it. Drupal offers a very basic forum, with security issues (such as overflow), and very limited moderation functionalities.

Emmanuel

jazar, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    I've been looking at systems for months now in my spare time but must choose a path pretty soon. The main issue is that an existing site needs to be changed over to run on CMS so there's a lot of demands on the spec and most of the "off-the-shelf stuff" CMS looks like it will need a serious amount of tweaking :S

You got any tips/pointers on building a CMS? How long did it take? Where did you start? What level of programming skills are needed in order to produce a solid solution? :)

Lever, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  3. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    I suggest Mambo with 404 SEF. Goes from regular SEF blah/blah/blah/blah to /title. Really simple conversion and fast installation/implementation.

charless, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  4. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    I second the Mambo. Although I don't use 404SEF (yes I'm cheap), I do use the built in Mambo SEF blah/blah/ and every single page has been indexed by the search engines without problem. I try to keep my content 1 menu away which I also thing helps.

802networks, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's free!

sarahk, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  6. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    Ohhh oops. I was thinking about the other component. SEF ADVANCE
    I think that's what they use on like devhardware and toms hardware guide.

7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    SEF 404 at Mamboforge.net. I'm very impressed at how easy it was to install here. Overwrites the standard content component so you can't have any mods in there.

sarahk, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  8. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    The one question I do have... what will happen with the old links (using the built in SEF component)?

I have about 250 pages indexed from Mambo in most of the search engines. Won't that cause a bunch of 404's which will then automatically redirect to the Mambo index.php file which will then cause the SE's to think it's duplicate content?

That is the only thing holding me back from doing it.

9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Case Study

My Mambo test site has a page for Auckland Blogs

The Out-of-the-Box sef link is http://www.rainchx.com/mambo/component/option,com_newsfeeds/catid,69/Itemid,50/

But the SEF 404 link is http://www.rainchx.com/mambo/news-feeds/auckland-blogs.html

Click on them, they both work.

Now the penalties for duplicate content may apply but it's the page that will be penalised and eventually Google will drop the page with no internal links and use the new version (which may have been penalised initially). I would not expect your whole site to be penalised.

If you continue to add new content it will see fresh, unduplicated pages and you'll be off laughing.

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  10. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow. That does look pretty good. I went through your site and I do like the way those url's come up. I think i'll give it a shot. The good thing is that my site is still relatively new, so if I'm going to muck around with URLs, now is the time to do it. While the traffic is still low.

11. jazar

jazar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Lever,

It really depends on what you want to do with it - it took us 6 years to come up with a decent content management system, and the architecture was right from the start! If you don't spend enough time thinking about the actual architecture of the code, and the way your platform will work, you may waste 2 years building your stuff, and then realising that others have build something 100 times better, and meeting all your needs.

So, in any case, I would advise you to test them all out. Then, if you identify a hole, and things that none of them can address, and will be able to address in a soon future, then go ahead, and build your own stuff.

Emmanuel

jazar, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  12. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Hi Emmanuel, thank you. Nice to hear your input :) I'm testing about half a dozen CMS so far and the results so far have varied from "far too basic, no scope" to "OMG, the interface needs a degree in ancient languages and what, by then, if it doesn't do what I need it to do?" So I feel it will occupy a middle ground, fulfilling basic needs plus a few more, yet not needing to be a corporate, "industrial strength" enterprise level system... just yet! ;)

I have 6 months rather than 6 years and will need to port across & improve an existing site with the scope to add features/modules. Plus there are no plans to market/sell the CMS when it's finished. If the architecture is pretty solid from day 1 then there *should* be no problem in expanding it later, right?

Lever, Aug 26, 2005 IP
  13. jazar

jazar Peon

Best Answers:
    We will release our platform under open source licence in a very soon future - if you want to test it, and see if it meets your requirements, I am more than happy to send you a copy.

The main benefit is that it is both SEO & developper centric - you can build your own system on the top of the core layer, without having to go through the hassle of building a solid architecture first. We have done it all for you.

Let me know.

Emmanuel

jazar, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  14. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    Mambo is very easy to seo.

As is drupal, the only problem with drupal is that you have to write your own rewrite code to make it look like good mambo seoed urls.

Other then that I have no problem ranking with either, I find Drupal better then mambo as it is easier to publish and gives more leevay for website customization.

saintdw, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  15. a3196

a3196 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like mambo....Drupal is clean but too slim(??) and not much features...

I have about 8 powered by mambo sites...

This is one of them...http://www.logodesignlogodesign.com

I guess it take some time to learn how to handle cms.. I'm not just talking about mambo, I'm talking about all cms.. and mambo was one of the hardest one to learn cuz it has so many features...and component....

You will learn if you try enough,,

a3196, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  16. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    '
    Your website times out here.

saintdw, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  17. cmeinck

cmeinck Active Member

Best Answers:
    How do you handle the Global Meta Description/keywords?

I'm using SEF advanced, which does create nice URL's. My concern is that my RSS feed is showing the "non" SEF Advanced URL. Am I setting myself up for a duplicate content penalty?

-Chris

cmeinck, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  18. a3196

a3196 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try again...http://www.logodesignlogodesign.com

and I use 404sef and it works pretty good....

You can find many sef url compoenet at mamboforge....

a3196, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  19. tapsocial

tapsocial Guest

Best Answers:
    Drupal is more flexible and easy to administer compared to other CMS. With 1000's of drupal modules its easy to scale up any site with more features over time and I recommend Drupal 100% to everyone. Drupal is very easy to manage (sites, modules, views, and other components like news, feeds, forums, blog, drigg (social bookmarking), and 100's of modules which is been developed by the open source community. And with the coming of Drupal 7, sky is the limit for creative use of drupal for any kind of site development.

tapsocial, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  20. GamesPond

GamesPond Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good reply but this thread is like 4 years old lol.

GamesPond, Feb 16, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.