1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS: Mambo, Drupal and SEO

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by e10, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I don´t know if this is the right place to ask these questions. I didn´t find any thread related to CMS.

I have a site which was built in FP with no templates. It uses only plain html, no dbases or anything else. I really want to do something with the site - make it easier to manage, modernise it, make more money from it ... or something.

It has been suggested in another thread that I use a CMS like Mambo and I am interested in this. I´ve also found Drupal mentioned.

My site currently does very well in the search engines -esp. G - and I´d hate to jeopardise that in any wayl. I´d really like some feedback about seoíng for CMS. I suppose as my site is established and reasonably well ranked, flexibility of file names would be an issue.

I found this article which quite honestly doesn´t look too positive as far as I can see.

If you are using Mambo, Drupal or any other open source CMS and are successfully seoíng would you comment here please?

e10, May 27, 2005 IP
  2. grantmoney

grantmoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I went through the usual "testing every cms" stage and found that plone was by far the most flexible and did exactly what i wanted to do. The added bonus was it has very seo friendly urls (no modrewrite needed) and uses semantic code (so h1 h2 all in the right places).

Now here's the downside, it requires zope to be compiled for it to work properly (i found the debian package was very very bad), needs python (which it's all based on (so no more php!!!)), it is a little slow so you need to cache your pages using apache or squid, and it has a fairly large learning curve for the developer (if you want to build your own applications or play with templates). If you don't mind spending some time mucking around with stuff, it's def worth using as nothing i tried can touch it.

grantmoney, May 27, 2005 IP
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I find Mambo pretty flexible. I use the 404 SEO component, which is just a case of installing it which takes about 30 seconds. It rewrites all of the URLS to include the page/article title and the section heading. I'm using it at www.seo-service.biz if you want to take a look.

MattUK, May 27, 2005 IP
    classifieds likes this.
  4. daGenius

daGenius Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommending mambo too.
    See at http://www. opensourcecms.com/ the whole cms programs with live demo, take a tour and make you self a oppinion.

daGenius, May 27, 2005 IP
  5. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Design Agent, May 27, 2005 IP
  6. renoir

renoir Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    renoir, May 27, 2005 IP
  7. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Mambo for sure! A lesson I've learnt though be VERY careful about downloading scripts, especially PHP programs because you could be using a script that is riddled with security holes.

I downloaded a PHP program script for my hobby website (not related to travel) and someone found that I was using that script and obviously knew they was an hole in it and basically hacked me.

I'm sooo not downloading programs again.. lesson learnt! :)

DarrenC, May 27, 2005 IP
  8. daGenius

daGenius Peon

Best Answers:
    A script which used by most webmasters are always danger to find out a security leck! But good supported scripts are always updated.
    If you programming self a phpscript it is very safe because no one know it :) but phpnuke or mambo are famous scripts... got it?

daGenius, May 27, 2005 IP
  9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup sure have dagenius, but my example wasnt referring to MAMBO or any other CRM program, and the program is not famous, but still it had a few security loops that could of cause me serious problems if I didn't back up my hobby site and my hosting company weren't on the ball.

I just feel webmasters should be weary of the potential pitfalls, because I'd not want it to happen to anyone else.

DarrenC, May 28, 2005 IP
  10. webinv

webinv Peon

Best Answers:
    I will also throw a vote in for Mambo. I use it on numerous sites and I can do anything with it easily. Also, there is a huge support network that is always creating new components modules and templates to help users out.

You can always check the following to try them out:

http://opensourcecms.com/

-Jon

webinv, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  11. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    The page gives a 404 at present.

I have to say I built my own CMS because none of the php contenders did everything I wanted (at the time) and I like to play around with things. If you've got the time I would recommend building your own CMS to suit your needs. I certainly don't have any problems with SEO or rankings on the sites using it.

Arnica, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  12. evancesolutions

evancesolutions Guest

Best Answers:
    I have used mambo and pretty much every other CMS out there, but one of the easiest to use and pretty bare bone CMS's I found was at:

cmsmadesimple .org

Im starting to use it to manage most of our sites. Its easy to use, simple and search engine friendly. It may not have all the fancy features of the others but if you are just looking for something to easily manage the site with out all the bells and whistles , I recommend this one.

Regards
    Hal

evancesolutions, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  13. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm trying mambo out now for a new site, and i have to say it's driving me nuts. i'm having problems figuring out how to link from sections to categories to content, and how to format it the way i want. i can't find a simple tutorial either.

ugh.

wendydettmer, Jun 12, 2005 IP
  14. jazar

jazar Peon

Best Answers:
    A good SEO friendly CMS is not just providing url rewritning features. You should get other features such as being able to produce a code clean, with titles, subtitles, etc using H1, H2, etc .. and control the structure of your design to optimise be able to control where the content is actually put in the html code.

Emmanuel
    http://www.jazar.co.uk, bespoke SEO friendly CMS

jazar, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  15. Tommo

Tommo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just installed mambo for the first time today, it was the first time for any CMS as well....It's finally installed and I am just sat here completly confused as to what to do next...looks like a steep learning curve after dreamweaver.

I tried installing it via fantastico and it needed the public_html folder deleting then it couldn't create it with the right permissions

I tried a manual install and none of the installation folder was in the download hence it failed to show me the set up page.

The Install instructions fail to mention any permission changes

I eventually got it installed via Fantastico in a new subdirectory once again not mentioned in any documentation

I tried to do a 301 redirect to the mambo front page and got errors,

Really wondering if I've made the right choice.

Tommo, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  16. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Give Drupal a shot. It's like a breath of fresh air after Mambo. Mambo looks pretty on the surface, but is in reality a mess that just happens to have excellent marketing (speaking as a coder with intimate knowledge of its internals). Sort of like Microsoft's products ;)

Also, might not be a bad idea to try out and play with Drupal, Mambo or other CMS systems on your desktop first, before messing around on a server which arguably has a steeper learning curve (as you need to take into account things like Cpanel quirks, MySQL access, permissions, mod_rewrite, Apache settings, etc etc). Just install some of the pre-packaged WAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP for Windows; assuming you're on Windows) packages available on the net, after which you can install Mambo or Drupal. Should be easy enough.

Willy, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't use Dreamweaver but I wouldn't have thought you could compare the two as they do totally different jobs don't they?

Anyway, ardent Mambo fan here. It continually surprises me in what it can do out of the box. I've written custom stuff for it because there have been times I've needed something that meets specific requirements for a specific business. As a development framework it's excellent.

However I threw up a site for my kids bmx club using mambo and free templates and handed it over to another club member to manage with 0 instructions and he's away laughing! In the space of a few hours they got a great site.

I'm not completely one eyed though and the people who lurve Xoops, Drupal and Typo3 are equally passionate about the choices they've made. So check out Open Source CMS (a mambo site) and have a play with their demos.

Sarah

sarahk, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  18. arnoldcr

arnoldcr Peon

Best Answers:
    arnoldcr, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Mambo seems pretty good and they have patches made available.

sarahk, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  20. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    Based on my experience in SEOing content served by a CMS, Mambo (with static page address) and PHP-nuke (with Googletapping) are the best ones.

kawebspy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.