1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

cms help

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by e10, Jul 15, 2005.

I´ve never used a CMS and I don´t know anything about php. That´s what is putting me off choosing one. Thing is, my mum´s birthday is coming up and we´ve just got her a new domain name and have a cracking idea for a site. I usually make her templates and stuff but I´d really like to set her new site up with an easy CMS.

Would it make sense for me to pay someone to set it up for me so all I have to do is hand my mum the keys? It´s be a nice birthday present and I just can´t face a steep learning curve right now. What do you think it´d cost to have someone set up something simple? They don´t have to worry about content or seo or anything, just set up the CMS for me so all I have to do is tweak, add pages, etc?

e10, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Probably not much, have you tried WordPress. It's simple and there are loads of free templates about as well. You could probably create your own template (modify an existing one) in a few hours.

dct, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  3. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi dct,

It´s the whole php thing that´s putting me off though. I did look into it before and of all of them, I fancied Wordpress. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get on with it.

e10, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  4. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    What is putting you off about PHP? The idea of a CMS system is that you don't have to touch the code. Just upload the files, configure, serve. Unless you want to change the core of how the CMS system works you don't really need to know any PHP.

tflight, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  5. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    It's not hard, all you need to do is put the usual html around the php that is already there for you, and there are so many templates available you may even get away just modifying a bit of CSS

dct, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  6. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, I guess the jury is in. I´ll give it a bash but expect some questions here when I muck it up.

e10, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  7. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have personally used two very nice CMS's. my site funnystory.cc runs with Geeklog and my site comicbookmovies.info runs with Xoops. Both are quite powerful and let you mold the site any way you want. I have found Xoops has a larger more active community supporting it and it has more downloadable modules and themes.

I would recommend either of them from my experience.
    Good Luck.

jg123

jg123, Jul 17, 2005 IP