1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS: first steps

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by uca, Jun 18, 2005.

Hello!

I would like to start exploring the world of CMS.

Unfortunately I know little about it and I need tutorials starting from installation and so on.

I tried searching for Mambo tutorials (apparently it's the most popular) but didn't come across anything really helpful.

Any good suggestions for tutorials?

Thanks!

uca, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  2. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you can start reading here

crazyhorse, Jun 18, 2005 IP
    exam likes this.
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the link. That is the next chapter for me too. ;)

ResaleBroker, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  4. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I looked at the 2 nukes, Mambo, and a few others but I settled on Xoops because of the user support forums activity level. There were tons of modules and tons of help changing modules. The modules are installed very easily. And changing the layout of the site is simple as most everything is done with simple templates.

I may try Mambo next as it is very popular, but Xoops was an excellent choice for me to start learning about CMS.

Later,
    Rob

rob777, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  5. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was put off a little by Mambo, it looks a little too advanced for me at least, with few good tutorials.
    I tried looking into cmsmadesimple next, but it's not clear enough either.
    I am going to check out Xoops then and see what impression it gives.

Opensourcecms is good for a general idea, thanks everyone!:)

uca, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  6. saintdw

saintdw Peon

Best Answers:
    Tried em all, then wrote my own.

saintdw, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Mambo continues to surprise me by how easy and fully featured it is but yes, some of the docs are a bit light. I'm thinking of adding a section to my blog along the lines of "how Mambo surprised me today"

sarahk, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    If you are really getting into things, typo3 is a great solution - but it's a bear to get installed and have a site up and running.

As far as the different CMS's go, I'd suggest building a small site with a few different ones and seeing which features you really will find useful. If you just want something like a rolling news page, some of the simpler blogging solutions work great. Some have great plugins that you will find really useful depending on the kind of site - like calendars, directories, forum integrations, photo gallery integrations, etc. Skinning the site to your look and feel can have varying degrees of difficulty too. Some systems it's just a matter of touching up the css files, with others you have to learn a templating language and even then you may end up dissatisfied with what you can reasonably do.

I guess it really depends on what you mean by content management system. Almost anything can store an article in the database and display it - and building your own system to do just that isn't that difficult either.

Then there's the subject of SEO. What CMS is easiest to work with for SEO? Who knows, but they all have difficulties as far as on page SEO is concerned, whether it is linking structure, difficulty in editing metatags, page structure that is too heavy, etc.

Changing from one CMS to another is a bear. Look around and figure out exactly what you want to do and go with the one that most closely fits your needs.

nevetS, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  9. uca

uca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like a huge step (forward).

For the time being I have downloaded and easily installed Xoops.

I'm a bit confused about what to do now with it, but hopefully I'll learn soon how to make the best out of it and then maybe try another one (Mambo or cmsmadesimple, I don't know) with another site.

For now thanks very much to everyone!:)

For my next problems with CMS and Xoops in particular I'll start a new thread.

uca, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  10. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    The only one I found that I liked was drupal. There's a page out there that will let you see and play with just about every CMS there is before you install. Some of the *nukes have terribly written code that is a nightmare to modify. typo3 seemed a bit complex, and not very intuitive, to me anyway. I was looking for something that was easy and simple, and easy to modify.

nddb, Jun 22, 2005 IP