1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS buy or opensource?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by crazyhorse, May 29, 2005.

Hi

I would like to have a same kind of portal as Yahoo. I will need to have a CMS system to accomplish this. Any ideas on what to choose? Should i buy a CMS and if so what would you recommend( I dont have thousands of dollars to spend on a CMS), or would you recommend to choose for a open source like Mambo or maybe even Plural. Anyone got any ideas? :D

crazyhorse, May 29, 2005 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I really like Mambo - and if you have the technical skills I'd recommend going opensource. Have you checked out the demo systems at http://www.opensourcecms.com ?

Sarah

sarahk, May 29, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Mambo is my current choice (with SEF advance too).

Design Agent, May 29, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    LOL... Yahoo is a big target. It really depends on what you are looking for. There are portal systems like my.yahoo.com, directory scripts that are similar to the yahoo directory, etc. When you say "like Yahoo", I think of all of yahoo (Yahoo News, My Yahoo, Yahoo Groups, The Yahoo Directory, Yahoo Stores, Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo...). All of yahoo is pretty big and there is nothing out there - commercial or otherwise - that replicates their system.

If you are searching around, there's always sourceforge.net that is a repository for most major open source projects, and there are tons of script sites out there to handle specific pieces of functionality.

nevetS, May 29, 2005 IP
  5. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Are any of these programms SE friendly or will you have to make some modifications yourself and if so would that be easy to do so? Url, topic tiltle , meta tags etc. I had a look before at the opensource website, mambo seems to be number one of most wanted and then plural. I ll just need to look what would be best for me to work with.

crazyhorse, May 29, 2005 IP