1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cloud Domain Names Thread - A new boost for the domain industry?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by WSynd, May 14, 2011.

1. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    Hey look at that... second page. Yay.
    I will be sure to check out Name Pros (NP, At least I hope that is the site you are talking about).
    Now I have not done any research but I have noticed that (and this may be straying from this topic a bit), that there is a distinct Google ad by a Major company for an exact match of a domain/site I have.
    They use it as part sub category for their site. When I click on the ad, it brings me to a page that is about 80 characters in length.

Anyways, the quick question is if you consider that a good place to start.

I think as far as the Cloud domains go for myself, I will hold onto mine for a little while. I consider myself a realist and if someone offered me X,XXX for one of my domains, I will probably sell it. I have this point of view. Any of my other investments (speculative), are far and few between where I would have the opportunity to double, triple, quadruple, or even better my money. I have realized large returns on real estate, but only once did I nearly double my money. Granted it was dealing in larger XXX,XXX sums but still I had to invest XXX,XXX (mostly borrowed money) to make the initial investment.
    So for me, this is a hobby, but if I ever get an offer that allows me to make 2x to 1,000x profit, I would really consider going for it.

Just my opinion.
    Cheers

Zorlock, May 20, 2011 IP
  2. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    Nice.
    Where do you have your domain listed at?

Cheers

Zorlock, May 20, 2011 IP
  3. rdthewall

rdthewall Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it got the exposure at DnForum where I had posted it in appraisal section.

rdthewall, May 20, 2011 IP
  4. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    I am still unclear as to your original question.

You have a couple in there that could go either way (depending on how the Cloud thing plays out... very speculative) but most of them (in my opinion) are not inline with what the "CLOUD" represents.

Just my opinion.
    Cheers

Zorlock, May 24, 2011 IP
  5. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are saying these are your names.....

"Toyota" is a trademark, I would get rid of these domains asap, they can only lead to trouble

gilescoley, May 24, 2011 IP
  6. AdamFL

AdamFL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WTF Toyota has to do with cloud computing? Also those domains as Giles mentioned are total garbage.

AdamFL, May 24, 2011 IP
  7. mrcurly

mrcurly Active Member

Best Answers:
    Picked up a domain -

CloudTribe.com

mrcurly, May 28, 2011 IP
  8. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    The Clouds have gone silent!

LOL
    Cheers

Zorlock, May 31, 2011 IP
  9. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im too busy negotiating on names lol

gilescoley, May 31, 2011 IP
  10. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    My new name

CloudGuru.com

gilescoley, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  11. yathatguy

yathatguy Peon

Best Answers:
    found my answer.. thanks anyways. will take the advice

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    yathatguy, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  12. Directory-Empire

Directory-Empire Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely pay attention to this comment. Everyone will let you register and advertise trademark violation URLs, but you're on the hook solely. Most companies will send a Cease and Desist quickly if the learn their trademark is in a domain.

Directory-Empire, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  13. mob

mob Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I have the name Cloud--Computing.com.

What are your thoughts on this one?

mob, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  14. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have this one, pity about the hyphen

Open-Clouds.com

gilescoley, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  15. 2and1

2and1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just grabbed myself cloudhostco . com, plenty of cloud hosting companies around so thought for 5 quid why not.

2and1, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  16. venividicvici

venividicvici Peon

Best Answers:
    I am after advice please to do with my cloud gaming domains. I have posted on other forums including namepros but have had no meaningful response.

I purchased these domains in Q3 2010:

buycloudgaming.com, cloudgamingcentral.com, cloudgamingchina.com, cloudgamingdemo.com, cloudgamingeurope.com, , cloudgaminggames.com, cloudgamingheaven.com, cloudgaminghome.com, cloudgaminglatest.com, cloudgamingplanet.com, cloudgamingreleases.com, cloudgaminguk.com, cloudgamingworld.com, freeclouddemos.com, freecloudgaming.com, mycloudgaming.com, playcloudgames.com, playcloudgaming.com.

Firstly, does anyone think these domains are useful?

Secondly and more importantly, I have a real peculiar situation in relation to recent huge domain news with one of my cloud gaming domains purchased at the same time as all the above domains...

icloudgaming.com (I hasten to add again, acquired in Q3 2010).

Given the news recently I've been rocked by this. I respect that trademark prohibits snaffling up related domains to current existing products, but given a) the context (i.e. all the domains purchased were "cloud gaming" related rather than spinoffs from any existing trademarked product) and more importantly b) I purchased the domain over half a year before iCloud.com was even acquired by Apple (and also at a time when I, like millions of others, hadn't even got a clue iCloud.com was even in existence), I would have thought this is less clear.

There is development on the site to do with cloud gaming news and reviews i.e. with no reference to Apple's products.

Any advice appreciated.

venividicvici, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  17. Zorlock

Zorlock Member

Best Answers:
    If you want my opinion, you have a specialized niche in "Cloud Gaming". If you had the generic name of "Cloud Gaming (dot) com" I would say hold onto it or put it in some auctions but the names you have are not as generic as one would hope.

My opinion would be to develop (especially iCloud Gaming)! At this point, "Cloud" domains are gaining in popularity but they are NOT to the point that all of them are worth something. Right now it is the more generic names that have been selling "iCloud", "CloudCo", ect. Names that can be developed with a clear and broad market.
    I say develop the domain(s) into a functional site serving a product or service, try to sell them (but dont expect to make money), or let them drop (keep iCloudgaming).

I am just a guy with an opinion. Take from it what you will.
    Cheers

Zorlock, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  18. venividicvici

venividicvici Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the response first and foremost.

I was going to keep them all tbh for the next 18 months to see how things pan out (certainly as there is more of a rollout with cloud gaming across the world in the next 12 months), but with the proviso that in the back of my mind I know some aren't worth all that much at all. They were one of my first punts into the domain market, so you pay your money you take your chance so to speak. I read a so called "seasoned domainer" on another forum has recently purchased a "cloudgamingWORD.com" domain and seems optimistic about it, but I can't really see that it's any better than any I have. But, there you go.

The main one really as stated is iCloudGaming where I intend to keep posting cloud gaming related information. Most of the others currently redirect to it. I was mainly reaching out on this score, to gauge if iCloudGaming is, in the circumstances described above, a massive no-no.

As an aside from this, way back when I was looking for cloud gaming domains, I checked to see if the equivalent "computing" as opposed to "gaming" was available out of interest - icloudcomputing.co (yep .co) was available. icloudcomputing.com at godaddy is for sale (circa £2,500) I have just found out. With this being for sale on GoDaddy at least I can have some peace of mind with iCloudGaming development.

Anyway, cheers for the response.

venividicvici, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  19. buywiser

buywiser Peon

Best Answers:
    DieWolke.info
    Wolken.co
    Wolken.biz
    inderWolke.net
    indieWolken.net

DieWolke = the Cloud
    Wolken = Clouds