1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Client can access main directory of website but not sub-folder???

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Arson, Dec 8, 2014.

I am having an issue I hope one of you gurus have already been through and solved, to tell you the truth it's a rather strange issue.

I'm building a new website for a business in a /dev/ folder of their old website. ie. theirsite.com/dev

All the computers in the business run through a server on-site.

They can access the main theirsite.com, and all the links and folders that are a part of the site are working fine (its Joomla CMS). For some reason no one can access the /dev folder from inside the building (site on dev folder is wordpress in case thats relevant). They can access it from home, just not in the office.

I've checked the host table on their server and even tried adding an entry just for /dev but of course that didn't do anything.

It has to be something to do with either their server or the folder itself. Only problem is if it was the folder itself having the issue I think the /dev directory wouldn't load at all for anyone..

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, I've run out of ideas...

Arson, Dec 8, 2014 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Without knowing the setup, I'm not sure, but since you're saying the subfolder is accessible from outside, just not via the intranet, it suggests that there's a blocking of anything not already verified - firewall, perhaps? Normally, you can't access a localhosted site via external resources (without letting through traffic) - maybe it's not letting through traffic to the /dev-folder? Or, are you sure they're accessing the site via an external resource? Ie, not via a local IP or something similar? What error are they getting, if any?
    I would look into firewalls, routing, or .htaccess

PoPSiCLe, Dec 9, 2014 IP
  3. Arson

Arson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well the site is hosted externally, and they can access it from their home connections, just not from the computers in the office which are connected through their server. It just seems strange that they can visit theirsite.com, and all subdirs of the old website, but not theirsite.com/dev. I wouldn't think htaccess is causing it since everyone else can access it, right? Firewall could be it if it's that strict I guess, but the host table has an entry for www.theirsite.com..
    The only error they receive is the standard "Page Cannot be Displayed", so this is all sorts of confusing.
    Thanks for the advice PoPSiCLe :)

Arson, Dec 10, 2014 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Ah. Right. So the site is hosted externally, and they're just trying to access the external site from their corporate network. My bad. I figured it was hosted inhouse (sort of). That means they should be able to visit it fine, since it works for everyone else out there. Seems weird they would have that strict rules in their firewall. If possible, you might test this if you can connect a computer to their corporate network before the firewall, thereby bypassing it - if it works then, you know where the problem is.
    However, it MIGHT still be a .htaccess-setting - although a weird one - or a firewall one. If they have rules giving them specific access to certain subfolders, it might be that /dev isn't on that list - while people accessing the site from any other IP than their corporate net will not be hindered by that. I dunno. Sounds to me like a pretty weird error.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 11, 2014 IP