1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clicksettlement.com? Class Action?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Joobz, May 20, 2006.

1. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    www.google.com/adwords

fsmedia, May 21, 2006 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

As part of a class action suit, google is required to turn over all contact information for anyone who is eligible to participate in the settlement. I have no reason to believe the email isn't genuine - it looks similar to other settlements I have been solicited to participate in.

mjewel, May 21, 2006 IP
  3. liquidboy

liquidboy Peon

Best Answers:
    absolutely right accentnepal it will only become null and void if enough high worth advertisers with a sum of enough advertising dollars say opt-out. If enough small advertisers with a sum total of used advertising fund equating to a small fortune (i believe about 5% of the settlement) opt-out then the entire suite becomes null and void. Its a big ask from us small advertisers but it could happen!

If people are more interested in the details of my statements i can try to find the articles, they were from news.yahoo a while back..

as for the whole "your automatically assumed in unless you opt out", gadood i agree the law system sometimes works backwards. However its in googles best interest that it automatically assumes opt-in. Because if this lawsuite settles google only need to pay 90 million. (as opposed to something bigger later on, you have to realize that Google defined these conditions, they came up with the 90 million amount and they admitted to the click freud, they want as many people to settle with this amount as soon as possible)

However if enough people optout (which isnt the default hence people will have to go out of there way to do this) then google could potentially face a bigger fine from a future law suite.

At the moment from a lawyers perspective, google is in the lucky seat! 90million versues what i believe should be a potential 1.8 billion. You don't need to be an einstein to figure out which is better!

:) again im saying it, im opting out. All it takes is a simple letter mailed to that single address with your name and signature with the statement "op-out of this current law suite with lawyers ......"

l8r

liquidboy, May 21, 2006 IP
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Got this letter yesterday. Let the ambulance chasing commence!

jackburton2006, May 21, 2006 IP
  5. accentnepal

accentnepal Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not really $90 million. It is $30 million for the lawyers and $60 million in half off adwords for the customers which is about Googles' cost. They could even profit from some of it as people buy adwords to get the discount and bid up the prices for keywords.

accentnepal, May 21, 2006 IP
  6. alakasiz

alakasiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I received it yesterday, as an international member i wonder how it will take effect in here... :confused:

alakasiz, May 21, 2006 IP
  7. zkac050

zkac050 Guest

Best Answers:
    Heres a article about it
    http://search-engine-blog.seocase.net/2006/05/22/google-adwords-class-action-litigation-spam-followup/

in a nut shell:

Adam Lasnik from Google posts comments to the post and confirms that adwords click lawsuit is real and settlement has been reached.

Here is an excerpt from adwords blog.

As you may have heard, Google has reached a settlement of a lawsuit regarding click fraud. Here’s Nicole Wong, Associate General Counsel, to discuss the latest developments:

Now that the preliminary settlement has been approved by the Court, all members of the class are being notified about the settlement. On May 19 and 20, 2006 (PST), a settlement administration firm sent an email notification (from clicksettlement@xmr3.com and with the subject ‘Important Legal Notice Regarding Your Google AdWords Account’) to all advertisers who purchased online advertising from Google between January 1, 2002 and the present.

I recommend that you carefully review the information in the email and visit the site provided by the administration firm: www.clicksettlement.com. On the site, you will find links to the official settlement notice and settlement FAQs, both of which are in .PDF format. To view these documents, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.”

zkac050, May 22, 2006 IP
  8. lelij

lelij Peon

Best Answers:
    Google Settlement Opt Out
    c/o Gilardi & Co. LLC
    P.O. Box 808070
    Petaluma, CA 94975-8070

Opt-out
    --------

I’ll opt-out of your peanuts-Hollywood-material settlement which only suits the lawyers.

Meanwhile, I would also like to let you know your law-company, Gilardi & Co, are automatically opted-in for paying my company 1’000 $ for claiming to act on our behalf without my authorization, and for time and stamps I had to waste to write you this letter. If you do not reply to me in writing in the next 30 days following reception of this letter to opt-out of this, I will send you the bill.

lelij, May 22, 2006 IP
  9. Borniet

Borniet Peon

Best Answers:
    I got a mail yesterday from clicksettlement with the title Important Legal Notice Regarding Your Google AdWords Account
    It says something about a lawsuit against Google Adsense, and that I have to join, but my legal English is not good enough to see what it is really all about.
    Did anyone else get this? It looked spammish, but not sure if it is.
    If anyone else got it and it is not spam: what is it all about?

Borniet, May 22, 2006 IP
  10. ainmohd

ainmohd Peon

Best Answers:
    This morning I received a strange email as follows:

xxxxxxxx

Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 23:33:02 -0400
    Reply-To: Clicksettlement <clicksettlement@xmr3.com>
    Subject: Important Legal Notice Regarding Your Google AdWords Account
    To: xxx@xxx.xxx

This court-ordered notice may affect your legal rights. Please read it carefully. If you purchased online advertising from Google between January 1, 2002 and the present, you are a class member in a class-action lawsuit in the Circuit Court of Miller County, Arkansas. This notice is to inform you of the Court’s certification of a class; the nature of the claims alleged; your right to participate in, or exclude yourself from, the class; a proposed settlement; and how you can claim an award of advertising credits under the settlement. Please read the attached notice.

You can get more information at: http://pull.xmr3.com/p/32303-0D26/70126699/http-www.clicksettlement.com.html.

Please do not reply to this message

xxxxxxxx

Anybody any ideas?

I didn't open the attachment.

Ainuddin
    BestWebsites.com.my
    AdsenseForDummies.com

ainmohd, May 22, 2006 IP
  11. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, I got five to different email addresses. Even to ones that have never had adsense on them. All went straight into the deleted folder! :)

MattUK, May 22, 2006 IP
  12. SNap3

SNap3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Someone who got their hans on your email adresses :)

SPAMBOX

SNap3, May 22, 2006 IP
  13. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    got myself too.:mad:
    nothing but spam - someone doing it with a bit of innovation.

onedollar, May 22, 2006 IP
  14. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    :) following the same list
    Quick deleted lol

amitpatel_3001, May 22, 2006 IP
  15. empservices

empservices Peon

Best Answers:
    I received this in google active as well as other mail boxes.
    Just a spam, possibly a mail virus.

empservices, May 22, 2006 IP
  16. mikebrad0927

mikebrad0927 Peon

Best Answers:
    same here, seemed a bit spammy.

mikebrad0927, May 22, 2006 IP
  17. jlo2001nl

jlo2001nl Guest

Best Answers:
    Looks as if someone in the states is sueing google for illegal clicks. But when you read carefully it seems that the attorneys get most out of it(30% of 90 million)

jlo2001nl, May 22, 2006 IP
  18. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I deleted it, assumed it was spam, besides I've only ever spent about $50 on adwords :/

mdvaldosta, May 22, 2006 IP
  19. Jenstar

Jenstar Active Member

Best Answers:
  20. jackied

jackied Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi All,

I did some digging after I got this email on Saturday and called my Google rep. It's definitely legitimate - I think someone already posted this link:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2006/05/lanes-gifts-v-google-settlement.html

I also posted my Google rep's repsponse to my inquiry on my blog:

http://www.internetmarketingadvice.net/clicksettlementcom-is-legit-per-google/2006/05/22/

I also posted a link to this thread.

Sorry to swoop in as a newbie.

Best,
    Jackie

jackied, May 22, 2006 IP