1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clicksettlement.com? Class Action?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Joobz, May 20, 2006.

1. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    And I thought I was special and I'd get the $90 million to myself. Oh well, guess I'll go delete that email and wait for the one telling me I won something.

Roman, May 20, 2006 IP
  2. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Just got the email here too. This is far too targeted to be spam...

Art, May 20, 2006 IP
  3. janjalani

janjalani Active Member

Best Answers:
    I got the email and my friend got it too. We both have adwords account.

janjalani, May 20, 2006 IP
  4. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    I just found mine in my Gmail SPAM list. The reason it was sent to their SPAM filter was because GMAIL said it had URL's in the email that didn't go to the URL which was stated in the message. This might just be a latest scam going around trying to steal personal information from folks on the Internet. Just like the Ebay or Paypal stuff we've seen before?

markhutch, May 20, 2006 IP
  5. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Strange, there doesn't seem to be any mention of that particular site on Google's behalf. I suppose this is one of those situations where we'll just have to wait it out.

Art, May 20, 2006 IP
  6. Netizen

Netizen Peon

Best Answers:
    Only $90 million in the settlement.

$30 million for the plaintiff attorneys, the rest split between advertisers based on the percentage of the ads paid for since January 2002.

Most of the $60 million will go to Amazon, Classmates, Dell, etc.

Us peons might see $0.0001 each.

Netizen, May 20, 2006 IP
  7. 993ti

993ti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mouseover the link and there's a redirect with this in it.
    1st site here.com/p/20630-0626/70120549/http-www.2nd site here.com.html
    I think it's just a scam.

993ti, May 20, 2006 IP
  8. cleanairguy

cleanairguy Peon

Best Answers:
    cleanairguy, May 20, 2006 IP
  9. CPW-Carl

CPW-Carl Peon

Best Answers:
    Got the same thing, deleted it thinking it was spam/virus. But I'm also wondering how they got the email address, Google must have had to turn them over??

CPW-Carl, May 20, 2006 IP
  10. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well the settlement sounds about right. CEO's and top officials millions - peons nada.

And the only way I guess to know who is owed what - Google would have had to turn over the emails. Unless we hear otherwise it being spam.

lpstong, May 20, 2006 IP
  11. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    The "class action" is real, what we are talking about is this silly email that got sent out which doesn't go to the URL it is suppose to. I wouldn't recommend anyone clicking on an email of this type. If you've got real money coming to you via this lawsuit, there will be a regular mail letter on its way to you, eventually. There will be many folks who will fall prey to this latest scam just like all the others which have found their way around the Internet. Just remember if any email ask you for personal information, it IS NOT legitimate. If you really have money coming the court system already knows who you are or will soon find out via the normal legal process.

12. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
  13. Sara

Sara Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, they could only have turned them over recently as I have only just joined adwords in the past month.

Sara, May 20, 2006 IP
  14. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The letter may come later in regards to the lawsuit.

I just say that because I get constant updates about the netflix lawsuit without snail mail. Everything stated in the email is the same stuff in the media(television and newspapers) it also coincides with the updates of the lawsuit on their main page. So they may or may not send snail mail out you in regards to the lawsuit. So I would probably say they would use this same instance sending out notices via email.

Sad though. What would happen if many who abandon their old emails that they used for the google adwords. More money for the bigger companies. I guess that would be the same if they sent out the lawsuit email via the snail mail way.

lpstong, May 20, 2006 IP
  15. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever it is, it's unsolicited e-mail.

They can fuck off, frankly.

Pete

P.S. It looks like their antics have caused their server to crash (overloaded by curious visitors perhaps? *smirk*)

GADOOD, May 20, 2006 IP
  16. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to read the emails then that's up to you, but most legal contacts are never done via email and if you click on any link you get from this type of thing, you do so at your own risk. I have no doubt that millions of people also received the same email who never had an adsense account or even know what Adsense or Adwords are all about. All I'm saying is, just be careful because if you get in a rush to somehow get some free money, you might find yourself in a "hell of a mess" with nothing positive to show for it!

17. markhutch

markhutch Peon

Best Answers:
    and some of those curious visitors will give them just what they want. The keys to their good name and credit to steal. These email scams just get more clever with time and the want and need of regular folks to profit from the Internet just play into their sick game. Look for more tragic stories to come from folks who fell from this lastest fraud. They will be showing up as victims in news programs worldwide, soon.

18. liquidboy

liquidboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Its for real... Its old news that there was a class action suite awarded against google in favour of a online flower store (and potentially other adwords advertisers).

The document explains how if you do nothing you basically agree to participate in the current to be paid out lawsuite(which is pretty crappy terms if you ask me). You can choose not to participate and wait for a potentially better offer later via a future law suite if there ever is one.

I believe theres another party in california that want to sue google but have there hands tied because of this first law suite. I believe its them that have sent out these emails because they feel that by the time they get there chance in court all us potential class action participates (adwords users) will have been paid out by this first law suite. Confused yet :)

Anyway im opting out and not taking part in this first law suite. Its too little. 90 million of which the lawyers will probably get 33% (30 million). Im holding off incase theres a bigger settlement later.

ps. i personally believe clickfreud is in the 30+ percentile bracket. If google have raked in over 6billion since 2002 from advertising then they should be returning over 1.8billion to advertisers. Currently there only willing to pay back 90 million.

I look at my stats and i know that im sent alot of crappy clicks, yet i can't do anything about it except pay my bills. I've since moved on from adwords, i don't agree with the whole PPC model. I like paying for slots by time periods (like the real world eg. billboards, news paper slots etc).

liquidboy, May 21, 2006 IP
  19. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So is this a legal action and Google was forced to send emails database to xmr3.com or Google is sharing the personal information? Because the email I used on adwords was never used in other places and this email came exactly there...

rehash, May 21, 2006 IP
  20. accentnepal

accentnepal Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it really is legal notice of a settlement in the click-fraud lawsuit. I was also an ad words customer and I received a notice.

The terms really suck. $30 million cash for the attorneys. Only those who file claims by August 4 get a part of the remaining $60 million, Google (it appears) keeps the portion allotted to those who do not file. And get this: We do not get cash - we get 50% off on future adwords purchases. Google pays the website owner about 50%, so all it costs them is lost business.

For me, 50% off worthess advertising is still worthless.

You can object to the settlement by writing both the attorneys and also the court. I doubt they will even read anything that is not from a lawyer. Perhaps Liquidboy has the right idea - opt out and hope for a better deal.

accentnepal, May 21, 2006 IP