1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Clicking my own site

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by macdesign, Aug 15, 2005.

I was testing a new site - about three weeks old - yesterday, and cause I was half asleep, I messed up and started clicking all the Adsense text links - thinking they internal links <duh> [but at least it was providing very good context appropriate ads]. After I did that, I sent an email to Google telling them what happened.

Today, I see no hits on the site - does that mean that Google got my email and removed them, or that Google knows from the IP address that it was me, and never registered them in the first place.

macdesign, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  2. blackpudding

blackpudding Peon

Best Answers:
    Surely you don't mean you clicked on all of them :eek:

You're right that they know your IP address and won't count the clicks but multiple clicks on your own ads could wake the G man from his slumber...

Fee, fau, fo, fum,
    I smell the blood of an Adsenser,
    Be he alive, or be he dead,
    I'll grind his bones to make my bread.

Cheers
    BP

blackpudding, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  3. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I'v actually no idea what I did, I had just uploaded a change to a page that accidently removed links to other pages, as a result the Google AdSense text links were in the position where my links were supposed to be. When I clicked in the area where I though my links where - it was not obvious because the links to other pages are generated dynamically with different text each time. So these pages from other sites started popping up - I'm not sure how many times I clicked on Ads before I realized what was happening.

That's what happens whan you go for a week with 4 hours or less sleep each day.

4. Worldwid

Worldwid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you get banned atleast you cant make a post here saying you dont know why ;)

All seriousness, yes they know your IP and they dont count the links automatically. Multiple clicks sure doesnt look good, and if anything happens later down the road, this will incident will also be on your 'record' sort to speak.

Best of luck to ya, hope everything works out good. Go get some sleep! I usually sleep atleast 9 hours a day =)

Worldwid, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  5. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Gee - I haven't done that for at least 25 years. If I'm lucky I get six hours sleep a day, then every so often I collapse and get about ten hours catchup. When I was younger I used to go a couple of days without sleep, and then crash, but Now I need a least two hours a day to keep going.

6. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    If the ads are still showing.. then no worries... Hits not showing up just have to do with lag in the database.

If you still have ads you are still okay.

It is unlikely google would ban you for this because suprising enough, you are not the first nor the 1000th webmaster who accidently or even intentionally clicked on a bunch of their ads after first getting into the program.

You probably noticed none of those clicked had any money associated with them. This is because google knows it was you and discounted them out of hand. When people get banned for clicking on their own ads, this is not what they did to get banned.

aeiouy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I just got an email from them thanking me for telling them. I'll see if any clcisk show up in the log in the next day or two.