1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Click Thru And CPM Down 30%

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by wiseone, Sep 2, 2004.

Anyone else noticing a decrease? I added the multiple ads yesterday and watched my CTR drop like a rock. Removed them this morning. CTR is still way down and CPM is down at least 30%. It has not varied much over the past three or so months... Is this is trend or simply a daily issue?

I also noticed my impressions were way up yesterday? Could they be counting impressions from bots that they do not know about? I have been getting a ton of hits from exabot and pampos? Maybe I need to block these guys.

wiseone, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  2. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    Bot don't crawl javascripts. I guess your CPM came to my side as new technology is developed

Just let you know Google is formally banning all double serviing.

qll, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  3. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    I think it is too early to draw any conclusions, but your observations seem quite logical to me.

If you double the number of ads on a page, you will double your impressions (assuming there are enough ads available). However, the second set of ads will have a lower payout than the first ads, and it seems unlikely to me that number of clicks will double (although it makes sense that they will increase, as visitors will have more to chose from).

I would not really be too concerned if CTR and CPM goes down, as long as the end result is an increase in revenue.

:) Geir

Geir, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  4. wiseone

wiseone Peon

Best Answers:
    The proper term in the adsense report is "Page Impressions"...

Example: Page impressions should equal 10 if your webpage is viewed 10 times with one set of ads.

If I ad another sets of ads - should my pages impressions be 20 with the same number of page views?

Seems like a page impression should still be a page impression no matter how many ad sets are place on a page? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

wiseone, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  5. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    The number of impressions shown in our adsense account indicates that each unit displayed will count as one impression, which is also how I think it should be.

It is still too early to tell 100% for sure though, as I just added more ad units yesterday, and there could be natural variances in number of impressions.

Geir, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I too am seeing the number of impressions shoot up and, consequently, the CTR fall heavily.

However, this does not account for the concurrent fall in CPC. :(

Will.Spencer, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  7. cobaltlady

cobaltlady Peon

Best Answers:
    My CPC dropped 50% couple more days of testing and this "double dipper" is going back to one ad group per page.

cobaltlady, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't draw any conclusions regarding the number of ads on page vs stats (CPC, CTR, etc) based on a couple days of activity. I would let it ride for 30 days or so you can get a feel for the trend. You can't really detemine a trend in 2 - 3 days.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  9. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    I agree that it is too early to draw any conclusions.

I would certainly expect both CPM and EPC to drop. However, with a larger number of ads shown, I still hope total revenue will increase.

CPM should drop since more ads shown should reduce the likelihood of each individual ad being clicked.

EPC should drop since some users who might have clicked an ad in the first ad block if only that one showed now may click an ad in another ad-block (or not click at all, if they find the number of ads to be annoying). Since the best paying ads will typically be shown in the first ad block, any click in a secondary adblock INSTEAD of the primary adblock will likely reduce revenue (and EPC). Hopefully there will be enough visitors now clicking who would previously not have clicked any ads to more than make up for this negative effect.

Geir, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  10. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    In the last few weeks my revenue and eCPM has increased, with CTR staying about the same. It's still too early to draw conclusions about the multiple ads per page thing.

caroline, Sep 3, 2004 IP