1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CJ text links?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by anthonycea, Dec 21, 2004.

How does one get a simple text link (url link) from Commission Junction?

When you request text links they offer you a "get HTML" cut and paste code button, when you click on that you get HTML, not a text link.

I sent them a mail message asking how to get a simple text link from them and may have to wait a month or so to hear from them.

LinkShare you will never hear from if you send them a support question.

Most of these outfits are very sorry when it comes to customer support and that includes CJ and Linkshare.

anthonycea, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It depends on the Advertiser.

With eBay you can make your own links quite easily yourself or with their link creator.

Others require you to use their inventory of ad formats (which sucks indeed). If they do let you make links with some form, just inspect the output. It always has your ID and the link ID in it and like in eBay's case, the destination. Just alter that and it works in most cases.

T0PS3O, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Have you ever tried to get any help from CJ or Linkshare, what a joke that is, where is this link creator within CJ Tops?

4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/affiliate/cjflexiblelink.html is the eBay tool I was talking about.

Yes I did request CJ help once, about sorting on currency or UK only. Answer came about 6 working days later and well after I had found that the answer was NO myself. I never worked with Linkshare.

T0PS3O, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well at least they got back to you a week later, LinkShare never bothers to reply to emails for help, even when their banner code does not display properly.

Imagine trying to get paid for your efforts in dealing with such idiots.

Thank you Tops, I will look into CJ for the flex link here in the states. :)

6. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The html CJ provide is the html required to create a text link (as oppoosed to an image link).

If you want just the url, you can extract it from the html provided for a standard text link.

Although CJ's terms and conditions say you shouldn't amend the links provided by them, they turn a blind eye to this as long as what you're doing isn't misleading (individual advertisers may have their own specific rules regarding this).

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Tops mentioned the thing about the flexible link where you can make custom links automatically.

Other than that, how would one know unless they are a coder if the URL link is correct and that you would be getting proper credit?

8. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's only for eBay, not for other advertisers.

If someone doesn't know how to create a link in html they really ought to learn basic stuff like that before putting ads on their site.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Some webmasters are not coders believe it or not, some do not even know HTML or understand server administration or FTP.

Does that mean they can not produce a website? It means that they can not write code and need to hire or partner with those that can code and do understand programming.

Producers of television and movies are not all camera men or film editors but still are movie producers.

Hugh Hefner knows nothing about website coding but has one of the largest websites in the world.

10. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But I imagine Hugh Hefner has someone to add the CJ links on his site for him!

Surely someone who is adding links to a site needs to know the basics of how they work?
    You can hardly call creating a hyperlink 'programming', it's the most basic concept anyone creating a website should be able to understand.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    AC is worried about creating the seemingly simple A HREF link in a way that it still passes his ID's and tracking stuff. This is not transparent at all and goes way beyond simple linking.

Some come with a impression tracking image, others are more plain. Some are encoded, some are not encrypted.

T0PS3O, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  12. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not as difficult as you make it sound.

If you know the basic html to create a hyperlink, it's simple to work out which part of CJ's link html is the url. It's the same as it is for any other link, the url is the bit between href=" and the closing quote. Everything else can be disregarded.
    The same thing applies if the link is encrypted (which will only happen if you ask for an encrypted link).

The tracking image is not required, all that does is measures impressions, and doesn't affect the tracking of sales.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    So all AC needs is his ID 546xxx4756 and the advertiser's ID which he can copy out of an image link perhaps, again 9384xxx747 or similar and then make a <a href='www.qcsrv.netetc.'>text link</a> link like that?

I didn't know they left it so wide open...

T0PS3O, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  14. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's best not to use the linking url from an image link, because some advertisers will use these measure the performance of different banners etc and using it for a text link will mess up their figures. Also image links can be expired.

Most advertisers provide a basic text link, so it's best to take the linking url from that.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I need the arses to supply the damned text link like other affiliate sites do, like I said before, sometimes these outfits make you jump through hoops to make nothing.

16. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I use a number of affiliate programs/networks (mostly UK based), including Amazon, CJ, Affiliate Window, Tradedoubler, DGM, and several others, and NONE of them provide what you're asking for, they all provide the complete html required to create the link, rather than just the url.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Tops just posted the flex link page from eBay in this thread, what is that?

Don't tell me you never seen an affiliate text link from an affiliate program, I have and I am not as smart as you. :confused:

18. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a specific tool provided by one merchant, and is not provided by CJ.

I use text links all the time, I use the links provided by CJ, Amazon etc.

I'm struggling to see why this is such a big issue for you.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Why is it hard to understand? I want a link that will work with anchor text that still gives me credit when someone clicks on it.

What is hard to understand is why such a great organization like CJ is such a pain in the ass to work with and why they do not offer this as great as they claim they are.

20. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But they DO provide this kind of text link.

jaffa, Dec 21, 2004 IP